Chapter 7.3: Loss

Start from the beginning

"No," Ari said into Freir's neck. 

"No what?" Nolan said.

"I... I was wrong in my words."

"Oh, and what words were those?" 

Ari muscled down what little pride and hope he had of leaving down, and breathed. The tears still flowed from his eyes in a steady stream, but he did his best to keep his emotions from out of his voice. He could not let Nolan know how truly torn he was over what he was doing to him. For so long, he had trusted him and only to realize it was unfounded trust and loyalty into a man he did nothing but use him. 

"I want to stay," Ari mumbled.  

"Stay?"

"Yes."  

Ari could hear Nolan's footsteps moving away from him as he laughed. 

"Arnold, see, I was right to have let Freir and Rein be for so long," Nolan said to one of the Sanclii in the room. "He could not latch on to me. Rein despises the boy, so all he had left was Freir." Ari felt his heart breaking into multiple pieces at his words. "He is all he has left now." 

"Nolan," a woman said but she stopped speaking. 

"What?"

"Is it okay? To leave him here? Alone?"

Ari could feel Nolan's icy eyes on him, but he kept his head down and continued to listen to the sound of Freir's heartbeat. 

"He knows where he belongs," Nolan said after a moment. The chill of his words sent shivers down his spine. "Do you not?" 

He closed his eyes and nodded. 

"If you happen to have a change of mind, I will be more than happy to rid you of whatever regrets are left lingering behind. Oh, and the temple. Come speak to me there on the morrow."  

Ari heard multiple pairs of feet leaving from out of the hut before the door slammed shut. He pushed the hair out of Freir's face checking to see if he was truly okay. As he looked further, Ari did not see any wounds, but the one to his head. He tried to shake and wake him. His heart was hurting so much and he was filling with so much negative emotions he had done his best to avoid all his life. Because of that, they were threatening to swallow him whole and he did not know what to do. He needed him and the thought of losing him, hurt more than the thought of losing his freedom. 

Once he realized he would not be waking up anytime soon, Ari walked over to where the water was dripping from the roof. He tore of a piece of his shirt, and held it where the dropped. When it was soaked with water, Ari cleaned Freir's face with as Freir had always done for him by the light of the candle. 

As the hours passed, Ari did his best to keep him warm, but he was only so small. He could not stay here. Ari throat was getting dry as well and his stomach was grumbling. He rose and walked to the door. Ari balled his hand into a fist to knock, but he hesitated. What pride of his was left? There was none. He would do as Nolan said if was for Freir's sake. He would do anything. 

Ari knocked at the door and a familiar face opened the door. It sent a wretched feeling through Ari's chest as she smiled. Her dark blonde hair was pulled back into a pony tail, and she wore the same armor she had worn back in the mess hall.  She was a tall, muscled woman and did his eyes no more pleasure than hearing her voice. 

"What is it?" Alia said.

"I am fine here, but Freir... and his head..."

Alia nodded as if she cared, crossing her arms all the while. 

"Before you request anything from me, do you not have something to say to me, first?" 

Ari lowered his eyes. He licked his lips before biting down hard onto the bottom one. 

"Well?" Alia said, growing impatient.

"Forgive me... I was wrong... in saying those things and the disrespect shown to you as my upper." Those words coming from out of his mouth left a bitter taste in his mouth. 

She laughed and threw her head back. "So I had been wrong. Nolan had truly done well with you." 

"Talon, go and fetch Freir," she barked to someone outside. "Rein is probably looking for him, I am sure." 

Alia looked back at him and smiled again. 

"I know my place, and now you know yours." 

________________________________________________  

[A/N] 

Ah, sorry for long wait! I was a bit busy with life and all + I had a mini block. Anyway! Ari is definitely in a bind. Alia definitely had it out for him. I feel terribly bad for Ari right now, and I wonder now... do you guys think it'll have an effect on his choices from here on out? Leave me your thoughts down below! 

Thank you for reading, commenting, and voting! You guys are just friggin awesome. *Gives lots of kisses*