Chapter 41: The Foothold Battle II

The battle had been going on for two days now with no side gaining major advantage. Although, the wall canons have mostly been destroyed. The rebels were preparing for the final strike to the city that will ensure victory.

Oddly, the city was not reinforced with new Ravenrock soldiers, the people were left to their own doom along with the remaining soldiers stationed there. Grim thought it wouldn't be long before they have to surrender. But yet again, it felt to easy for Grim. The wall is the most crucial part of Ravenrock territory, for it to be left with little defense just didn't make sense to her. Perhaps they have something bigger planned she thought.

The rebels were preparing their final attack but before they began the attack, a white flag was waved all around the wall and the gates were opened.

"Guess they didn't have many soldiers left." Wize said.

So the rebels marched to the city without resistance, there they quickly saw the devastation from their constant mage attack on the city. Most buildings were burnt and the civilians were injured. The scouts quickly scouted ahead to establish a vantage point. Ande immediately ordered the mages to establish a medical base to heal the injured civilians and soldiers. The rebels didn't think of taking prisoners, instead they helped all of the people of the city. None were allowed to leave the city though.

The rebels made a forward headquarter on the city. They were preparing to launch their next attack on the next city, which was Rocken City. Scouts returned to inform the situation in the next city. The walls of the city were not as tall as before, they could strike once and penetrate through their defenses. The leaders decided to do a full march with all the forces going in at once.

"We will be entering uncharted territory, we don't know what awaits ud beyond this point. We should be as catious as we can, take safety measures." Zux suggested.

"That will take too long, we can't afford that much time. If the information is true, their defenses are not as strong as before and the number of troops guarding it are fewer, we can succeed with an all out attack at the city. This will save much time and energy." Zuno thought otherwise. He literally means there is no time, for him anyway. He only has a few months left before he must succumb to the darkness. They needed to move fast if they wish to still use Zuno's powers.

"We shall immediately strike tomorrow morning. We will do an all out attack and end it swiftly. As Zuno said, we don't have much time." Grim ordered.

It was settled, they all prepared for the next strike. The rebels were in high spirit they were confident that they could win the war. Dawn arrived and they marched proudly to Rocken City. After few hours of marching, they arrived outside of the city. The city's defenses were set, There was nothing outside of the wall but on top of the wall long range guns were placed and musketeers were moving around positioning themselves.

The invading army raised their magic shields and began their barrage on the city. The same as Ravenrock army, they also fired their long range weapons. They exchanged fire for a few moment. Zuno out of the blue rushed to the open field with shadows covering him. The musketeers opened fire on Zuno but he seemed to be unaffected by the gunfire. A dark shield was formed in front of him. He then leaped high on the wall and proceeded to use the shadows of the muskets to kill them. Afterwards a large beam of darkness struck the long range weapons, making them all explode. He then leaped back and returned to the rebels.

"All done, let's move on then." Zuno said calmly. The entire army were shocked and static seeing Zuno revealing his true power.

"Uhm alright, let's move in the city then." Grim said.

They fought the remaining musketeers and landships inside the city. It was a swift attack before they surrendered. The rebels then rested in the city.

"We should really come up with a name for our entire army." Selena suggested.

"How about The Liberation Army?" Ande said.

"Sounds brilliant. That suits us. We'll go with that." Grim agreed.

"Is anyone not bothered with what Zuno just did back there? Anyone?!" Arya shouted.

"As long as he can control his powers and help us bring victory. I have no problem with anything he does. He is a man full of mysteries." Ande replied.

"Ehm guys, you know I'm right here right?" Zuno stated.

They all laughed as the silent night went on.  The liberation army were celebrating across the city as today's battle was quick and with little casualties. Some were awed by Zuno's powers but at the same time some were terrified of what he can do and what would happen if he were to turn against them. Nevertheless, they trusted the decision of the leaders and are willing to follow whatever they command.

On the far side of the battle, in the capital of Ravenrock. Defenses were being built and musketeers patrolled non stop.

"Your majesty, we lost Rocken City, the enemy is advancing faster than we expected. What shall we do?" A scout reported.

"Let them come, let them enter the cities. They will not know what is about hit them. Is the weapon ready?" King Wells asked.

"Aye sire, though it has not been tested yet. Shall we unleash it when they attack the next city?" The scout replied.

"Yes, yes. Let them come as they storm the city. They will be forgotten and burn in ashes! See it done." King Wells ordered.

The scout was dismissed and told the weapon carriers to bring the weapon to the next city the liberation army will be attacking. The scout took a horse and dashed to the city to evacuate the soldiers, the civilans however were left to be collateral damage to see how effective the weapon would be.

"We shall end this war once and for all, don't worry you will see them soon enough." King Wells talked to a prisoner. "All will end well."