Chapter 30: Fire and Blood

The minotaur stood extremely tall, exceeding the height of the buildings which were three stories high. It wielded a huge axe. The mages surrounding them seemed very experienced in what they do.

Grim took out her blades and prepared to battle with the others. The minotaur stomped twice while roaring, smoke came out of its nose. Then it charged at the knights.

"Shields up!" A knight yelled. They were no match as the minotaur swung its Axe, sweeping away the knights and throwing them back. Zuno and the others were battling the mages. The enemy mages fired fire balls to them. Jennifer deflected them all, but couldn't protect Arya and Wize. Arya used her bow and fired enchanted arrows that could fly pass enemy magic shields. "Flash" she chanted, she shot 3 arrows and killed three mages. Wize was thrown back because of the fireballs fired at him, but he managed to hold it with his swords so it doesn't hit his body. Zuno on the other hand hid on a corner while summoning shadows, he can control his shadows fully now. Black shadows ran through the streets, up to the buildings, catching the enemy mages off guard.

Grim then yelled, "Switch positions, my knights cannot handle the minotaur. Let them take care of the mages. Zuno, Jennifer, Arya and Wize, help me take down the minotaur!" The knights fall back and took on the mages, for there were now a few of them remaining. Zuno and the others took on the minotaur, who was barely injured.

"Let's take it down!" Zuno shouted. The group huddled up. The came out with a plan and attacked the minotaur. Zuno stayed back while Jennifer provided support to the others by firing fireballs at the minotaur. Grim and Wize charged at the minotaur. Arya was besides Jennifer also providing cover by firing her enchanted arrows. Zuno prepared his shadows to help strike the minotaur.

The minotaur was fast for its size. It could parry with both Wize and Grim. Wize managed to go up its hand went it struck its axe to the ground, Wize tried to slash its legs, it had little effect. Arya ran up forward and formed magic circle around her, "let it rain arrows" she said as she pointed her bow up at the sky and fired an arrow. Grim tried to slice its face, but it slapped Grim and threw her at a building. Arya's arrow came raining down on the minotaur. The arrows penetrated the minotaur causing it to groan as it fell back a few steps. Zuno created a tall shadow figure but not as tall as the minotaur, only half its size. The shadow mimicked Zuno's movement. Zuno's shadow summoned a sword and charged at the minotaur. Zuno parried with the minotaur, the rest fell back and regrouped by Jennifer.

Meanwhile the knights had defeated the remaining mages and also rejoined the group. 5 knights had died during the battle and many more were injured. Zuno was at a standstill against the minotaur. They were both tired of parrying non stop. The minotaur then charged at the shadow. It managed to break the shadow's sword and slashed it. Zuno felt the pain as the shadow died out, he went down on his knees. Arya ran up to Zuno and held him as he was about to faint.

Grim, Wize and the knights charged again at the minotaur, since it was now weaken.
"I probably can take it down with one of my spells. Give me a few minutes." Jennifer suggested. The other agreed and attacked the minotaur. Jennifer open her magic book and created a magic circle around her and also around her magic staff. Grim and the others slashed the minotaur little by little. The minotaur was now extremely tired. Arya created a fast enchanted arrow and shot the arrow. The arrow penetrated the minotaur on the chest, but was not big and fast enough to hit the heart.

"I'm ready!" Jennifer shouted.

"Everyone move back!" Grim ordered. Wize carried Zuno back behind Jennifer.

A red aura energy could be seen surrounding Jennifer, her eyes turned red. The ground surrounding her shook as she lifted her magic staff. "Fire, ignite. Burn down the enemies on my path, guide me and give me your strength." Jennifer chanted. She tossed her magic staff in the air and summoned an enourmous fireball. It was then thrown at the minotaur with fullspeed as like a comet. It hit the minotaur and killed it. The minotaur turned back into a mage. The battle was over.

-------------

Zuno woke up, he was being healed by Arya. "Hey, you're awake." She greeted. "We defeated the minotaur and we are going to move further into the city. The fallen knights have been given proper burial nearby. We found 5 survivors and some knights are taking them back to Aluin City. Wize was also injured, but he's fine now." She continued.

"Thanks...again, for healing me. What would I do without you." He replied.

"Well, there is always Jennifer to heal you. Haha" she laughed.

Grim was in the room next door, briefing the rest for the next mission. "Let's continue, the longer we take, the lesser lives will be left for us to rescue. Is Zuno up yet?" She briefed.

Zuno entered the room with Arya. "I'm here. Let's get going." He said.

They readied up and continue advancing towards the next city. As they walked, Zuno sensed a presence from behind, following them. He used his shadows to lure the person out.

"Who goes there?" He asked. Turned out, it was Princess Selena.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He asked. The others stopped to look at her.

"I might be a princess, but I am also a knight and I want to fight. My people are in danger and they need to know that I am still alive." She replied. She was now wearing full knight armor and was carrying a sword, she also had a cape.

"Where did you get that outfit?" Wize asked.

"Well, you know. I found an armory in the city before and coincidentally there was a female knight armor, so I put it on and voíla! Nice right?" She answered.
They all laughed and accepted Princess Selena to come along with them to rescue more people. They continued their journey into danger.