Chapter 20: Gladiators

The shadows swung their swords and fought each other instead of attacking the students. The students and Exus were in a little relief.

"Well, that was something." Exus addressed.

"I had to make it clear that I'm no danger to anyone here." Zuno said.

"Really dude, you had to show off?" A boy said.

"Moving on, let's continue with the lesson shall we?" Exus tried to change the topic. "So, how do we control our powers? Anybody know? I'll teach you. Maybe later we can see the higher students practicing in the arena."

"So first, you need to control your breathing, don't panic, take long deep breath before using your powers. From there you should be able focus the amount of power you want to unleash."

The student listened seriously.

"Second, you must concentrate on when and where you want your powers to be. And third, give chants to your powers to help you decide which kind of ability you want to use, you don't have to, but it will make it more simple. I guess it would be easier to show you, let's head to the new arena." Exus explained.

They all headed for the new gladiator's room. There were some of the final phase students practicing for their exams. To pass the exams and earn the title of elite mages, the students must be able to do every spell that the mentors will ask for and also they must defeat their younger students in a battle.

"Ignite! "Terraro!" "Aqluos!" Chants could be heard from the room. Exus's students entered and took a seat in the gladiator room.

"Alright guys, observe the olders. And maybe if we are allowed, we will try out the room." Exus mentioned.

In the arena, three students were practicing. Their mentor watched from a seat. The older mages practicing were fire, water and earth mages. They wore their robes, the element symbol was embedded on the back of the robe.

The earth mage stomped his foot and raised his arms causing some part of the ground lift up. The other two dodged the rising ground.

The fire mage chanted "ignite", as she created fire from both his hands. She then threw fireballs to the other mages while running.

The water mage took out water from a bag she carried on her back and block the fireball.

The earth mage confronted the fire mage, he made a punch movement and a block of earth was thrown at her. She was hit.

The water mage leaped from above forming a water sword on her hand as she aimed for the earth mage. The earth mage clapped his hands and two large block of earth was about to close in on her from her sides. She then sliced the block of earth using her 'sword' and pumped high pressure water onto the earth mage. The earth mage was caught off guard and was knocked out.

The fire mage recovered from the impact of the block of earth. She stood up and looked around, she saw the water mage coming at her, throwing sharp ice shrapnels. She instantaneously created a fire shield, melting the ice shrapnels. She then covered her arms with fire and attacked the water mage. The water mage shot a continous water flow towards her. She blocked using her arms, causing the creation of a fog. The fog blocked the view of the people watching. There was an explosion and it was all over.

The students were eager to find out the outcome of the battle, they were amazed with the skills of the mages. The fog eventually dispersed. They saw the fire mage the only one standing.

"What happened?" Zuno asked.

"We'll never know." Exus replied.

The mages' mentor came down to the arena, congratulated the three mages and they all left the arena.

"So, shall we try it out then, we could also apply my lessons here, so let's go everyone. I'll split the class into two session alright?" Exus said.

The students agreed and went down to the arena, Zuno was in the first session.

"I'll demonstrate my powers first, then I want each one of you to also do the same." Exus instructed.

He went to the middle of the arena. He stood still and took a deep breath. He closed his eyes for a few seconds, then he whispered, "Zryx." Nothing happened. The students were waiting, preparing for what to come.

"What the heck is taking so l---" before a boy could finish his sentence, the ground shook. It was like a mini earthquake, the fires from the torches was gushed away by a wind. It went dark for 30 seconds before the torches were lit back. What waited for them in the middle was a huge minotaur, about four times bigger than them. It was wielding a dual handed, double-sided axe. It made a fierce growl which made the students move back.

"Her name is Zryx, she is a minotaur and she is my monster. Yes, I'm a monster summoner." Exus explained.

"My Darkness, a minotaur is one of the hardest monsters to summon, even harder to make it yours. How long did you take to be able to control her?" A girl with pink hair asked.

"It took me 5 years of intense research and trial & error before I could summon her. It took only a few minutes to tame her though." Exus bragged a bit.

"Alright Zryx, thanks for your time." Exus said as the minotaur turned into a shadow and went inside of him.

"S--she went inside?" Zuno was confused.

"She is a part of me now, if I die, she also dies and vice versa." Exus explained even more. "Now then, its your turn. Show me your power and abilities!" He continued.

A boy named Don went up first. He went to the middle of the arena, he also took a deep breath. Then, he disappeared. He had the ability to travel and teleport as shadows, all darkness students have the ability only to go through walls and ground, but not to travel with it. He reappeared again on the seat next to the students waiting. "I'm over here." He shouted. All the students looked over to him and he teleported back to the middle of the arena.

"Very nice, very nice indeed." Exus clapped his hands. "Alright, next up, Sally." Before Sally went forward. Zuno felt the sense he had back in Floran City. "Arghh" he screamed as he covered his ears with his hands and he went down on his knees, in pain.

"Zuno, what's wrong?" Exus asked as he came for Zuno.

"Shadows, they're everywhere!" Zuno yelled.

"Well of course they are, we are in darkness." Exus reassured. "Calm down."

"No, its different!" He couldn't take it and passed out.

-------------------------

Hello fellow readers!
How are you guys holding up? Hope you been enjoying the chapters so far.
Thank you so much for the support! My story reached the rank of 423 by the middle of October, for me it is super great bearing in mind this is my first time writing. Definitely huge thanks for all my readers!

Keep reading and don't forget to vote and share my stories!

Cheers!
Author