Chapter 34: Conflict of Interest

After a few days of travel, the rebels and the surivors arrived back at Floran City. The city was now more fortified and prosperous than ever. The villages, farms nearby had also been retaken. The rebels had their own territory now.

The survivors were taken to the infirmary to be healed further, the princess however, was taken to Jennifer's place because she needed stronger healing spells and potions. Zyx welcomed their return and escorted them to the city hall where Exus and his students also with Zuno's parents were waiting. The feliones opened the door and Zuno saw his parents and ran towards them. They hugged so tight.

"Holy Moly, how did you guys get here?" Zuno asked in tears of joy.

"Well, your mentor helped us get away. Without him we would have no chance to escape and no knowledge about your location." Zuno's mom replied.

Exus appeared next to them, "Hello Zuno, we meet again. I did all I could and thanks to magic, we could meet again. You don't mind if I brought some of your classmates right?" He greeted.

"Hey, thanks, for everything. And yeah, of course I don't mind. Where are they?" Zuno went and hugged Exus.

"They are now training the newbie mages from all around Enndorcsia at the new Floran City Mage Academy." Exus said.

Jennifer placed Selena on her bed and created a magic circle around the bed. She made a combination of potions and made Selena drink it. She had suffered major bruises around her body, Jennifer wrapped her wounds with enchanted bandages.

Meanwhile Grim reported the situation in Levenhood to the people of Floran City. She explained that they need to be able to defend themselves against the other two kingdoms, especially Andeena. Grim made an announcement that all men and women capable lifting a sword or holding a bow should help the fight against the kingdoms.

"We shall take back our homes, step by step. Slowly but steadly. We will take back our freedom! Join me on the fight, for a better Enndorcsia, for the restoration of the land without borders!" She addresed the people.

---------------

The door to the royal palace was bashed by Ande, he was furious that High-Mage Ulric was the culprite behind the non-stop attack in the other kingdoms and cities.

"What's wrong?" Eena asked as she was sitting on the throne.

"That son of a bitch, he fooled us. He fooled all of us, he had been using all our soldiers to kill and slaughter people. He even teamed up with Ravenrock to destroy Levenhood. I almost had him, but he teleported away. Damn it!" Ande yelled as he punched the wall next to him.

"The soldiers must be on his side, I fear a civil war between us is about to start. If it does, we must not let them harm any civilian. We shall gather all of our trusted royal guards and warn them about the treason Ulric had done. If he makes a move, we will know it. We must go to the military base and see what they are doing. All this time we only saw through the orb of enlightment, but I assume Ulric had corrupted it. Calm down brother, we will get him." Eena went to him and calmed him down.

The two royal highnesses gathered the royal guards. About 30 guards came to their calling. They were the best of the best and completely not affiliated with the military. The royal family hand-picked the guards themselves.

"Thank you for coming here so quickly. This is an emergency. High-Mage Ulric had betrayed us, betrayed our principles. We believe the military is also on his side, not all of them though. What we need to do is stop him and his members before it spreads throughout the city. We will enter the military base and make clear of the situation. We leave now." Ande adressed the guards. Together, they visited the military base. A mage battle had broken out between the militaries. The worries of the royal siblings had come true, it had started already. They found the resistance and joined their side and helped stop the others.
The defectors or Ulric's men were quickly captured. They came just in time.

"Where is Ulric? He fled the battle against me. He must have left to heal somewhere and I doubt that he will return here. For now, let us rebuild the military based on our core principles. 'To end all war and bring back peace throughout the land. To help those in need and protect the helpless.' May our magic protect us from evil." Ande made clear.

"We came just in time. Had we been late, who knows what would have happened. Magic was on our side." Eena felt relieved.

-----------------

Few days have passed, Princess Selena had healed and was walking around the city again. Zuno and Arya were out in the woods, hunting for food. Some people were making statues of the fallen heroes from the rebellion, among the fallen, Sam's statue was built in the middle. The laughter of the people were heard all over town. Wize and Jennifer were training the new recruits for the military. Selena went to see Grim, who was in the city hall.

"How are you feeling?" Grim asked.

"A lot better, thanks to Jennifer. Say Grim, can I ask something?" Selena replied.

"Yeah anything, what is it?" Grim wondered.

"So what happens after this? I mean the people here believes in freedom and anarchy, but what is going on here is not anarchy. Will the military be disbanded and will the ruler step down?" Selena asked.

"Well, my father always believed in freedom and a state of anarchy. So after we take back our homes and the cities, the people here can do whatever they want. I will step down from command and no one should have a higher position than the others." Grim explained.

"They look up to you and your father, I mean just look now. The people are happy and laughter can be heard everywhere, never have I seen such peace in a place, well besides my kingdom of course haha. Do they really need more freedom? Who am I to judge. After this is over, I will rebuild my kingdom and continue the legacy of my parents. Levenhood will not perish." Selena replied.

"Right, we'll see what happens later." Grim ended.

Zuno hunched down hiding in the bushes, Arya was nearby also hiding. They had spotted a deer and were hunting it. Arya pointed her bow at the deer and took the shot. Her arrow hit the deer's heart, instantly killing it.
"Nice job." Zuno said.

"Hey, its what I do. I never miss." Arya laughed it off.

They went back carrying the dead deer.
"Zuno... What are you going to do after this is all over?" Arya asked.

"I don't know actually, probably go home and live with my parents." Zuno replied. He didn't want to tell her about the deal he made with the summoners, he will be consumed in darkness in 2 years time. He won't ever have the will to tell her in person about the deal he made. Zuno's decision is that after the war is done, he will disappear and let the darkness consume him when no one is nearby. He just hoped that the war will end before the time run out for him.

------------------------
Hello readers!

I would like to say thank you so much for reading until this far and helped me pass 1k reads and 200 votes on my first ever book. Thank you so much for your support! Keep voting and reading and don't forget to share my stories with others! How do you like the story so far? Don't forget to leave a comment or feedback!

Cheers!
Author