Chapter 2: Gwendaline

2 Months have passed since they were sent to the academy. They slept in prison like rooms, with 6 people piled up in a 2-2 meter room with no beds, just rock floor with no windows only a steel door. Men and women were mixed together, and don't even think about how the hygiene was there. Wounds and scars began to rot on their bodies for they were beaten day by day.

"I don't know which one is worse, living here or being in the batttlefield." a boy with white hair said.

"You know, I heard that one week before going to the battlefield, we will be moved into the castle where we will get comfortable beds, proper bath and proper food." another guy said

"Yeah, and after that we are sent to our deaths in the battlefield. I wonder if the soldiers in the other are treated like this as well." Gwen said

"I don't even care anymore, I'd rather die there then rot here, just 3 more weeks before we go to the castle, we just need to hold on a bit longer." Zuno replied.

The bell rang signalling it was the start of another horrible day of training. The teens were huddled like sheeps into the field. There, they were told to fight each other until one cannot stand up anymore. "Only the strongest will be accepted in our army, there are no room for weaklings." One of the supervisors said.

Zuno immediately thought about Gwen, for she was never the fighter type of girl, she was the kind, friendly and can't even harm a bug kind of girl. He was scared, he was scared that he might lose someone precious to him, he knew that the weaklings will be killed by the knights. He had to come up with a plan to save her. Oddly, the women and men were separated in this part. Zuno had a sense of relief that Gwen won't have to fight men but was still worried. The teens were paired up and began fighting each other, it was brutal. They were not just fighting each other, it was a fight for survival.

Zuno couldn't do much and just prayed that Gwen will survive. Zuno was skilled in hand to hand combat, his father had thought him since Zuno started walking, it was not a problem for him to fight someone. Eventually the fight ended, under the tense sunlight, he was searching for Gwen. He found her, yes, but he found her laying on the ground, lifeless. Zuno ran towards Gwen, not caring about what the knights would do to him, he was crying and said "Gwen, GWEN, please wake up, I can't lose you, I made a promise that I will get you out of here." A sign of life appeared, for she was still breathing. But the knights then separated the weaklings from the rest. Zuno was furious, two knights had to hold him so he would not run for Gwen. Crying, he saw Gwen and other weakling taken away beyond the gate, not knowing what their fate would be.

------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks have past, and it was the day that they are brought to the castle. Zuno and the white-hair boy were the only remaining teens in their room. This time, bells didn't ring but instead they were welcomed by the sound of trumpets. The steel doors opened and they saw magnificent carriages parking, waiting to pick the teens up and take them to the castle. It was true, the one week stay at the castle was true. Some teens were overjoyed with happiness, but some remained dull for they have realized that they only have a week left before they go to battle. The teens were cleaned up then dressed with appropriate clothing and their wounds were patched up. The King must see them fit for battle.

They headed their way to the castle, the knights were now somewhat very friendly to the teens, some wondered "is this even real or acting?" Once there, they were welcomed by huge fountain made from gold and maids bearing new clothes and themselves. Men and women were separated to different sections of the castle and they were welcomed by the King.

"Young warriors, welcome to the glorious castle of Ravenrock, I am King Wells the Third, I see that you are the best of the best in your generation and I believe that you will bring victory for Ravenrock Kingdom. Enjoy your stay, request anything you like, besides going home of course haha." The King laughed. It was a brief speech, but it sent a powerful message, even though that the teens can request anything, they were still under the supervision of the knights, one wrong move and they will be executed for sure.

The teens went around and about enjoying themselves. For they only have 7 days left, before they are sent away into the frontlines to fight forces they don't even know.

Zuno sat on the balcony from his room looking into the stars, still thinking about what had happen to Gwen. He prayed to the star Gods wishing even the slightest possibility to meet her again. He then realized that he could request for her to be brought to him, but he was too afraid what he will see will be bones or ashes. So he decided not to do so, even wanting very much to know what happened to Gwen.

"It is better to not know her fate and still hope then to know her real fate and be devastated for outcome that I fear." he said to himself.