Left Out in the Cold

-Beths POV-

He didn't answer.

Not the first time I called. Not the second. Not the sixth or seventh.

I don't know why I kept dialing his number. It was obvious he didn't want to talk to me. I buried my hand between my knees. I'd shut out my own brother, the one person who would always be there.

Maybe I could see him?

I had to talk to him. Everything was falling apart, and I didn't know if I could take much more heartbreak. I just needed to see Nathan. I just needed to hug him. Seeing him would let me know everything would be fine.

Everything's going to be fine.

I stood up shakily, looking down at the boxes in defeat. I couldn't carry them back to Gerard's place, it would take me ages.

I decided to just call Gerard. Maybe he could even take me to Nathan's place.

I grabbed my phone, shivering as I held it up to my ear.

-Gerard's POV-

"It's her..." I whispered bleakly, staring at Franks glowing phone screen.

"We can't... You can't... Don't answer. Not yet." Frank could hardly form a coherent sentence as the ringtone echoed throughout the room.

"Make it stop." I finally stated, feeling my arm beginning to shake. "MAKE IT STOP!" I screamed, dropping the phone to the floor and covering my ears with my hands. "FUCK I CANT DO IT. I CANT LISTEN TO ANOTHER CALL THAT WONT BE ANSWERED!"

"Well do you want to answer it?" Frank stood up.

"I can't do it. You do it. I can't...I don't want to hear her voice." I repeatedly ran my hands through my hair.

Frank glared at me, before answering the call, hands shaking.

"Beth?" He spoke first.

"Yeah, yeah he just--he uh couldn't answer the phone right now."

"You're what?"

"Where?"

"Okay that sounds fi---" he didn't that last sentence as his eyes immediately darted to mine, his face turning a ghostly pale. "On- One moment." He stuttered before muting the call.

"What? What's wrong?"

"She um--she asked to see Nathan or if we could take her to his place."

"We can't--This'll---This isn't happening. Holy shit. This isn't---" I felt my heart rate steadily increase as panic wracked my body.

Frank was trying so hard to keep his cool, hold his tears in, anything to sound calm.

He resumed the call. "Yeah Nathan's out right now."

"Uh huh."

"Yeah, wait-"

"Oh okay-"

"Okay."

"Bye-..."

He hung up the phone.

Looked at it in his hand.

And then immediately slung it at the wall.