Frenemies

-Beth's POV-

What?

What did he know about me?

I just stared back at him until I found it in me to try and speak again. "W-what do you mean?"

"I mean that I think that we've both been through hell. I saw it in you that night at the bar."

"S-so?"

"So I think that means we understand eachother."

No one will ever understand me.

I just shook my head sadly. "You're wrong." I whispered.

"Am I?" He raised his eyebrows.

"What do you even know about me?" I whispered nervously.

"More than you realize."

More silence.

"I h-have to go." I said awkwardly, attempting to stand up on my one foot to try and get as far away from Gerard as possible. I don't know what it was, but I didn't like the way he made me feel.

He stood back, putting his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket which, strangely but all too familiarly, I hadn't seen him without.

"No you don't. And let's be honest sweetheart, even if you wanted to leave, you would get very fucking far on that gimp foot of yours." He smirked victoriously, and I sat down. I avoided eye contact again.

"Why do you even want to talk to me? Aren't you Nathan's friend?" I looked up, words finally making their way to my lips.

But at the sound of Nathan's name, Gerard's eyes darkened and he looked away from me.

"Like I said, I think we have a lot in common."

I didn't reply immediately. His action had confused me; why was he suddenly uncomfortable at the mention of Nathan? Had they not been together at Eric's not two hours ago?

I wasn't usually the one to pry, or even really participate in a conversation, but I asked anyway.

"Why'd you do that?" I asked slowly.

"What?!" He snapped, looking back at me.

"Why'd you get uncomfortable when I mentioned Nathan?"

Gerard narrowed his eyes. "And what exactly makes you think I'm uncomfortable?" He sneered.

"You avoided eye contact when I mentioned him, like you felt guilty about something."

Gerard pursed his lips. "What are you, my fucking therapist? I can move my eyes whenever I damn well please!"

More reasons why I hated talking in general.

I bit my lip and stared at the ground. This guy obviously had a problem with everything I said, but he was still forcing me to talk to him. What did he want me to say?

Then it just came to me.

"Do-," I hesitated. "Do you remember that day you drive me home and you asked what demons I was hiding?" I asked, proceeding to bite my lip.

Gerard met my eyes.

I probably shouldn't have asked that.