I Didn't Realize Things Would Only Get Worse From Here

-Beth's POV-

I woke up and immediately realized I wasn't at home. I blinked my eyes sleepily, using my elbows to help me push the front half of my body up. I looked and realized I was on a couch, and some sort of black quilt blanket thing had been thrown on me.

Oh that's right.

Nathan had offered to let me stay with him last night. I sat up groggily, attempt ion to rub my eyes, but I immediately felt stinging when I attempted to touch my right cheek.

Everything was coming back to me now.

Dad. Dad hitting me. Mom. Mom falling down the stairs. Nathan. Nathan not answering. Nathan's friends. I began to rub my swollen and bruised cheeks slowly as tears came to my eyes again. If only August could come faster-

"Well look who's awake!" I jumped at the sudden sound of a second voice in the room, turning my head to see who it was.

Expecting to see Nathan, I was surprised to see Gerard standing there, Nathan's friends from last night. He was leaning against the counter drinking from a Starbucks cup while his eyes were staring intently at me.

I didn't know what Gerard was doing here, but I needed Nathan. I needed to go back to the house. I needed to pack my stuff. I needed to finally leave.

Seeing the panic in my eyes, Gerard continued. "Calm down princess, Nathan's not here right now."

Nathan's not here right now? Now what did that mean? I wanted to ask questions, but I wasn't blessed with social skills. I was a shy person and being in a room with a boy I didn't now was already making me anxious.

Avoiding eye contact, I stood up slowly. "W-where's Nathan?" I stuttered.

"Don't worry about it." He answered.

I just shook my head, not ready to deal with this right now. "I-I um- I have to go." I said again, attempting to get to the door, which was unfortunately located behind Gerard.

"Alright, where are we going?" He said as I got closer.

I snapped my head towards him in confusion. We?

He chuckled, looking at my panicked and confused expression. "Yes sugar, since Nathan couldn't be here today, he didn't want to leave you alone, so I'm your designated babysitter. And do you know what that means?" He asked, eyes twinkling with amusement.

I just stayed silent, trying to process what he's just said.

"It means I don't let you out of my sight." He winked, drinking more from his Starbucks cup.

Babysitter? Babysitter? Why would Nathan do this to me? I'm fine. I'm fine. Can't they see that I'm fine?! I thought furiously to myself.

"I-I'm fine." I looked up meeting his eyes, hoping he'd believe the lie as much I did.

Gerard shook his head. "Go look in the mirror princess and tell me that's the face of someone 'who's fine'!" He frowned slightly, looking me over and making me even more uncomfortable. "Bathroom's on your left." He nodded to a small hallway with a closed door on the left. I didn't want to look at myself; I hated looking at myself, but right now, all I wanted to do was get away from this boy's eyes. So I walked to the bathroom, shutting and locking the door behind me as I turned on the light.