Maze Runner

-Beth's POV-

I wanted to be invisible.

I wanted to be anywhere but here.

I wanted to be with anyone but him.

"Found you." He smirked at me, and I felt my heart stop.

I didn't know what to say, and I could barely move seeing as I was cornered between a wall and Gerard.

"I need to go." I whispered, stating a t the ground and hoping to avoid his gaze.

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you do that princess. You and I need to have a little talk."

I heard his voice, but I refused to make eye contact.

"Ab-about what?" I asked desperately, just wanting to get away.

"Your little friend Eric. We need to talk about Eric."

Eric?

What was everyone's issue with Eric, and why did they care if I was with him or not?

"What about him?" I mumbled. "I told you already, he's just a friend-"

"I'm getting a little sick of your pathetic lying Beth." His grip tightened around my wrist and I winced. "Now, we're going to take this somewhere a but more private." He glared me in the eyes, and I began to get needy because he seemed to be getting genuinely angry.

Why?

"B-but I'm waiting for Eric. He'll know I didn't walk off by myself..." I tried to reason with him as he pulled me by the wrist out the gym door and back outside.

"I'm not worried about Eric." He pulled me close to him and then put his arm around me as we continued to walk. I tried to pull away, feeling extremely uncomfortable, but he kept his arm around my waist. "Now come on Beth, don't make a scene. Just smile and pretend it's ok. I mean, you're an expert at that my now aren't you?"

I immediately looked down at the ground. I don't know if those words were intended to hurt me, but they definitely stung.

He noticed my silence.

He looked down and managed to catch my gaze. "That hurt your feelings?" He questioned, raising his eyebrows. "Damn bitch, you're softer than I realized. Weaker."

"H-having f-feelings doesn't make me weak!" I said more to convince myself than him.

He chuckled. "Actually, it does." He grinned down at me. "You'll learn that eventually."

I didn't know what he meant by that.

But quite frankly, I didn't want to.

Gerard kept pulling me alongside him until we entered one of the buildings on campus. As soon as we entered, I recognized it as a large library, complete with towering book shelves, rows of computers, high skylights, and marble staircases. I'd be stopped by the old-timey beauty of the place if I wasn't currently being forcefully dragged across the room.

We kept walking until Gerard found a table near the end of the room right next to a large window, the light streaming in illuminating the area. He finally let go of my wrist as he sat down, and as I looked down, I was surprised and disturbed to see bruises already forming.

"Sit." He basically commanded.

But I shook my head slowly, clutching my wrist to my chest. It actually stung because Gerard's intense grip had not only caused the skin to bruise, but the material of the sweatshirt had aggravated my cuts.