It's Probably Not Important

"SUSAN MONICA SANDERS YOU GET YOUR USELESS ASS DOWN HERE NOW!"

Well, looks like dads home.

I looked at the clock; it was 1:17. I was actually surprised he was back this early. I've been up as early as 3 or 4 am to wait until my dad gets home from drinking and doing god knows what. I was a bit worried though that the first thing he did was call for my mom. They'd been fighting a lot recently, and now that dad was really out of it...

I stood up, as I'd been sitting in the hallway waiting for him to get home. I took a deep breath and walked down the hallway towards the living room.

And there he was.

He looked worse than usual. His eyes were red and glazed over. His hair was ruffled, and there were various liquids spilled all over his now-ruined button down shirt. You'd think I'd be scared looking at my dad like this, but you get used after a while.

He turned his angry gaze to me, raising the beer bottle in his hand as he did so. "Where-" he hiccuped, "Is your GODDAMN mother?" He yelled, pointing the bottle at me as he did so.

"Dad, come on, I think it's time for you to get some sleep." I took a careful step towards him, hoping that my normal routine would work, but usually he wasn't this angry.

Suddenly my dad smashed his beer bottle against the floor, the loud noise causing me to jump as glass shards shot across the floor.

"YOU TELL ME WHERE YOUR GODDAMN MOTHER IS BETH, YOU LITTLE SHIT!" He screamed, advancing forward and taking a firm on my wrists. I tensed up and began to panic. He'd never been this violent. His drunken rages usually consisted of him coming home, telling me that the world was an ugly place, and then allowing me to guide him to his bedroom before he passed out. I wasn't good in sinusitis like this; I didn't know what to do. I knew mom was upstairs asleep, but with all the yelling, I wouldn't be surprised if she was hiding in the closet right now.

"C-come on d-dad-" I stuttered as I shook. "Mom's asleep, a-and you should b-be too." I avoided looking him in the eye.

As my father narrowed his eyes and tightened his grip on my arm, I knew I'd made a mistake.

"What did you just fucking say to me?" He leaned in, and I could smell the alcohol as he spat his wicked words. I turned away even more, beginning to tear up. I couldn't do this, I wasn't strong enough to do this. Suddenly I felt the stinging of my father's large hand connect with my face as I stumbled backward from the blow. I bent over, bringing my own hand to my burning cheek as tears began to pour down my face. "YOU LOOK AT ME WHEN I SPEAK TO YOU BETHANY HELENA!" He spat. "NOW LET ME FUCKING REPEAT MYSELF! WHERE IS YOU GODDAMN MO-"

"Alan." I heard a voice say sharply from the stairs. My enraged father turned towards the voice as I continued to hold my cheek.

"WELL LOOK WHO DECIDED TO JOIN THE PARTY?" My father slurred sarcastically as I turned slightly, seeing my mother standing at the top of the staircase. She was gripping the bannister of the staircase, but her gaze remained firm; I'd forgotten how strong she really was.

I was nothing like her.

"Did you dare hit our daughter Alan?" She stared him down.

He laughed. "What, that bitch?" He pointed at me as he stumbled slightly. "That pathetic piece of shit ain't no daughter of mine!"

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I stood still, letting his insults hit me. He usually said things of this sort when he was drunk, but now I couldn't help but realize how true they were. Pathetic.