Chapter 48: Back to work

Beca and Chloe trudged side by side into the gates of Barden, both women's hair thrown up into a loose ponytail as they tackled their hangovers.
"Well would you look who's hungover," smirked a voice, Beca spun round ready to give whoever said that hell but was met with a goofily grinning Jesse, she gave him a stare followed by an eyeroll as she turned again and continued to walk alongside Chloe.
"What'd you put in the punch?" Chloe chuckled dryly.
"Shh, Eleanor spiked it to try and get away," Beca whispered in her ear, loud enough for Jesse to hear behind her with a laugh.
"Hey!" He scowled.
"Kidding Jess, it was probably Stacie," Beca smiled lightly.
"Sounds like your still drunk babe," Chloe nudged Beca.
"No, I'm high on advil,"
"Not the first time," Jesse deadpanned as he jogged past the pair and got a light hit from Beca.

As Chloe slouched in front of her classroom as the first students of the day filed in for class. She sighed and stood up, plastering her face with a fake smile to hide her hangover. She noticed Nathan Powe waltzing in, chatting away to his mates and groaned internally, ever since he'd caught Beca and her in the brunettes classroom, she always wondered if the word had got round from him. She let the class settle down before addressing them,
"Right guys, welcome back to the new year, this term we're going to be studying Macbeth by Shakespeare, there are extracts on your desks, I'll give you some time to read through them," she smiled lightly before returning to her desk and slumping in in once again and flicking over the extract, skimming it so that she knew it almost by heart, it was then she heard a voice call out.
"Hey, miss,"
"Yes Nathan," Chloe sighed.
"What'd you get up to over Christmas and New Year's?" He asked.
"Is that really necessary.." Chloe asked.
"I was only wondering, what harm can be done?" He exclaimed, now gathering the attention of the rest of the class.
"I spent it with my family if you must know, now please, on with your work," she gestured to his extract and tried to ignore the smug smile on his face. The redhead was unsure now if word had spread of if Nathan was just trying to wind her up, she shook it off and continued with her lesson.

"Hey," Beca voiced to the group in the staff lounge as she draped her arms around Chloe's shoulders from behind and buried her head in her neck as she was greeted back.
"Hey Becs, something weird just happened in my class. Y'know Nathan Powe," Chloe asked.
"Nope, remind me," beca sighed.
"The one who gave us that problem..." Chloe trailed off as she didn't want to tell the others what happened.
"Oh yeah that dickhead," Beca mumbled as she placed a small kiss where her head and been and went to sit next to the redhead, "what about him,"
"He asked me what I did over the holidays, simple enough, but when I said I spent it with family he looked all smug and all the class was listening, what if.. Y'know," Chloe asked, referring to if he'd told anyone.
"Relax Chlo, I doubt he had, but it wouldn't really matter anyway to be honest," Beca shrugged, draping her arm over the back of Chloe's chair.
"What's Nathan Powe done?" Aubrey piped up, voicing for the other two as well.
"Nothing," Beca was quick to quip. 
"Oooh, what happened?" Stacie rubbed her hands with a grin.
"Really it was nothing he just gave Beca a bit of attitude that pissed her off," Chloe shrugged as she looked at the brunette with a grin.

- - - - -
The pair were back at their place and indulging in the few leftover peppermint creams they had left over from Christmas.
"If I could eat anything whilst I was pms-ing, these would be totally on the list," Beca nodded.
"I'll ask you that in June," Chloe rolled her eyes.
"Hey, are there any zoo's around here?"  Beca wondered out loud.
"I have no idea, I wouldn't expect Maine to have one but they might," Chloe shrugged.
"We're gonna find one," Beca nodded confidently.
"What is up with you..." Chloe laughed.
"Nothing! Wassup with you?" Beca smirked as she spun upside down and swung her legs over the back of the couch, "you should try this," she informed Chloe.
"You're worse than the kids, maybe it's the sugar," Chloe chuckled.
"Maybe you're right... I'm feeling different," Beca laughed as she sat upright again and grabbed another peppermint cream.
"Not the first time to be honest," Chloe shrugged.

"Hey, do you think Jesse and that Eleanor will stay together?" Chloe asked when the pair were lazing in bed, Chloe reading a book and Beca lazily scrolling through her Facebook feed.
"I was talking to him about her today actually in our free. He says he really likes her, she works as an accountant apparently and he says she's a lot of fun and really down to earth," Beca shrugged, "I guess it's too early to tell but there's always a chance, it's good to see Jess happy again, when his last girlfriend dumped him he acted like he was fine but after all the time I've known him he can't hide it from me,"
"Yeah, I mean I talked to her on New Years and she seems nice and has good intentions," Chloe smiled.
"yeah..." Beca trailed off, "how long do you think the others were, like, talking about us, together, before we actually got together?" Beca pondered quietly.
"Since that first smouldering look in the staff lounge on that very first day st Barden Uni," Chloe grinned as she exaggerated the whole thing. Beca laughed as she pushed Chloe slightly with her elbow.
"I actually think it was my first week, or some time around then anyways," Chloe continued.
"Well when you think about it you could've gone to anyone for that tour," Beca smirked.
"Yeah well maybe I thought you were super hot," Chloe winked.
"No maybe about it Beale, you were certain and I could see it in your eyes, simply desire," Beca chuckled.
"Damn it, I thought I had it under control,"
"No hiding from detective Mitchell," Beca smirked.
"We'll see," Chloe winked, "I'm getting tired, night Becs,"
"Night chlo," Beca chuckled as she turned off her light and waited for Chloe to wrap her usual arm around her waist, she kissed her head lightly, "love you,"
"Love you too," Chloe whispered and the pair fell asleep.