Chapter Sixty Three

"Pictures." He responded simply as he lifted one out of the box, wiping it clean of dust with his sleeve and showing it to me. 

I aimed my flashlight over to the picture, getting a better view. The picture was taken before the 1900's or at least before 1907, considering it was black and white. The edges were worn out, yet with the black and white tone the girl in the picture didn't for a second look worn out or colorless. She smiled cheekily with her hands clasped behind her dress. I turned the picture over and looked at the messy handwriting on the back, "Scarlet right after graduating from kindergarten Circa 1899".  Ian and I looked through the rest of the pictures, watching as Scarlet grew up, fell in love, became a chemist, and that where the pictures ended. I though about my own life story and if I really want it to stop at me running away from the people I love, in order to protect them. 

"We need to go back." I turned to Ian who was pacing the room.  

"To the Serial Killers Beacon?" He said without facing me and continually looking around, flashlight in hand.

"Not funny." I rolled my eyes.

"I wasn't trying to be. I'm telling the truth. I am a descendant of Apollo, can I really lie, anyways?" He looked at me smirking at the end of his sentence.

"We just left everyone there to fight by themselves. We're selfish people. Well, I am." I looked down, letting my face fall in front of me. 

Ian walked over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders. I looked up into his eyes and he spoke, "You're not selfish Sky. I've been watching you throw yourself into your training up until you couldn't stand anymore. I've seen you pass out as you tried to manipulate gravity woken up and tried again and again. I know you don't sleep most nights because you worry about them. You left them so they'd be safe; that's not selfish, not at all." 

I gave him a light smile, closed my eyes and took a deep breath, "Jeez, I'm going soft." 

Ian let go of my shoulders, and we got out of the abandoned house, putting everything back in its place.

---------------

How much more time, Cassandra? I have a bad feeling about this.

Just wait a little longer, my darling. And well, you are one of my descendants of course you have a bad feeling...

What do you mean "of course"? What are you saying? Is something bad going to happen to them!? Are they okay now? What's going on? Cassandra?

Only time will tell, Sang Luna. 

---