Chapter 3

"No. You're not ugly. I know we've just met each other for almost a month but I'm sure I like you. I've never felt this to anyone before" -Blake

QUEN's POV 

From that day on, the three of us were always together. I enjoyed their company a lot but I wished that it were only me and Blake. I always made sure to give her flowers which made Kelly squeal and Blake smiled shyly. They told me they would stay there for the whole summer break so we spent as much time as possible together. Then one day, we decided to go to the beach. The two of them were swimming and I on the other hand was at the shore, watching them. After almost an hour, I saw Kelly coming towards me, leaving Blake swimming alone.

"Why did you leave Blake alone?" I asked her as she sat down next to me.

"I am tired and my legs are killing me. I need to seat for a little bit. What about you, why don't you go there and be with her?"

"No. I can't" She frowned at me and was about to ask me something when I noticed Blake wasn't in her original position anymore and nowhere to be found. Panic flowed throughout my body as I stood up. Then I heard someone shouting about a person drowning and then I saw Blake desperately calling for help with her hands before the water totally submerged her.

"Go and save her Quen, please!" Kelly shouted desperately. I wanted to go and save her but my feet wouldn't move at all. My mind was desperately telling me to go and help her but they wouldn't budge. My whole body was trembling and my head suddenly hurts. Then I saw Kelly ran swiftly and dived into the water to save Blake. After that, I saw Kelly swimming to the shore with Blake who seemed to be unconscious. Kelly's arm was around her neck while she desperately swam them to the shore. I cursed while watching her struggle but my body became stone-like, unable to move at all. My whole body was trembling in fear and I was sweating profusely.

When Kelly successfully brought Blake to the shore, she tried to give her a CPR but she didn't know how to.

"What are you still doing there?! If you know how to do a CPR, come here! Shit! She's not breathing anymore!" She said panicking and my legs miraculously moved. I quickly approached them and stared at Blake. I wanted to cry seeing her state. I pumped on her chest and then did the mouth to mouth resuscitation. I tried doing it again and after a minute or so, she came to. I sat on the sand in relief. Then an angry Kelly stood in front of me and slapped my cheek.

"Why didn't you rescue her on time?! Uncle Nelson told me you are a good swimmer!" She shouted at me and was about to slap me again when Blake intervened.

"It's okay Kelly. There must be some reason why he didn't rescue me" She said breathlessly while staring at me. She still looked weak.

"Why didn't you come to my rescue?" She asked me curiously without a trace of anger in her voice. My throat tightened as I shut my eyes close then heaved a sigh. I felt so ashamed to the point that I wanted to disappear. She almost died in front of me and I couldn't even do something to help her. Before they could react, I ran away from them. I knew I was being pathetic but I just want to be alone. Seeing Blake's state made me feel useless and the pain of losing Jasmine came back to me. I wanted to cry but I stopped it. Even during the funeral of Jasmine, I didn't allow myself to cry.

I continued running to God knows where until I couldn't run anymore. I stopped in front of a mahogany tree and punched its branch which made my knuckles bled. I really wanted to cry but I didn't have the right to. I sat under the tree staring at nothing when I felt a presence. She reached for my bleeding hand and wrapped it with her pink handkerchief.