Chapter 32-Damned Old Men

Maenin City
Cetrulis Skyland
Central Space

Alec climbed down the wooden ramp connecting the Float's deck to the docking platform. He yawned and combed his hand through his disheveled hair. Looking up, he caught sight of the dawn's orange rays peeking from behind the tall structures before him.

Buildings made from grey stone and smooth marble towered high, seeming to compete for the title of tallest. Once his feet landed firmly on the cement dock, he shifted his attention to his right when he heard a familiar voice.

"When I said you should be here before dawn, I didn't expect it to be exactly a second before the actual time," Kreis said. He jogged up to him just as Gael stepped on the dock and joined them. Asher came out from the makeshift stables for Draes located on one side Float. Alec smiled when he saw his Draelings on the adult Drae's back. When they saw him, they fluttered off Asher and scampered next to him.

"And I'm once again ignored," Kreis said, while watching the Draelings with warmth in his eyes. Alec and Gael chuckled, before the Gael stepped forward and tried to embrace the Head Ryder. Kreis stepped away immediately, looking over his shoulder with a frown to where men in uniform stood. "On second thought, I'd prefer being acknowledged verbally than receiving one of your bone-crushing hugs."

"That or you don't want to lose your domineering face in front of your men," Gael said with a laugh. Kreis only rolled his eyes at him, before fixing his attention on Alec. Alec stared on blankly in to the man's chocolate eyes.

"So how is it kid? Being the Draeyer of these three little ones," he said, gesturing his hands to the creatures looking up at him with amber eyes.

"I'm doing fine," he said. "It's quite tiring sometimes but it's quite enjoyable having to look after the three of them."

"Looking after one Draeling is pleasing as it is, I can only imagine what it's like to care for two more," Kreis said. "Anyway, I wish to see your Flames later. Headmaster Donovan has spoken to me about its uniqueness and I wish to see it for myself."

"I haven't tried conjuring it since the first time."

Kreis frowned at his words before an amused smirk tugged at the corners of his lips. He crossed his arms over his chest as he chuckled lightly. "Don't tell me you're scared of it?" he said. Alec glared at him when he detected the mocking and challenge in his tone.

"I am not. I just can't recall how to make it," he said. "Besides, Professor Cynn said that it's too dangerous to practice it around my classmates, and he agreed to hone my Flames away from them."

Kreis sighed as a small smile replaced his smirk. "You're not as snide like usual. Does that mean I'm finally getting closer to having you call me uncle?"

"Burn in Blazen you old man." With that, Kreis let loose a round of raucous laughter which earned the attention of the other people present in the Maenin Flying Docks. But not soon after, he reached out and clobbered the back of Alec's head with a stern expression on his face. Entiny, Midnight and Leyan growled at him in the process.

"I take back what I said about you not being snide," he said. "And for the seventh time, don't call me old!" Alec pursed his lips as he rubbed the pain away from his head. He looked down at his Draelings' concerned eyes while muttering about Kreis and his moodiness. Meanwhile, Gael shook his head at them both as he climbed on top of Asher.

"Alec you'll be around with Kreis for the whole morning. I have to put our things in the inn and take care of a few errands the headmaster asked me to do," he said. "I am confident you're able to handle his pesky tendencies, so I'll be off." Without another word, he leaned in to Asher's ear. The Drae jumped into the air, and Alec's hair whipped back as he flapped his wings. Soon, they were no more than a dot from a distance.