He stood up and pointed a finger at my brother. “Ha, hear that?!”

Jake tore his eyes away from his phone again. “Did you eat too much sugar or something? You’re acting like an eight year old on too many M&M’s.” He slapped a hand to his forehead; giving me an embarrassed look. “This is the guy I chose as my Beta. Tell me again why I did that?”

I laughed at the two of them. “Because he’s your best friend and you can’t fire him.” I answer matter-of-factly.

“Right.” My brother grumbled.

Dylan responded with a, “hey! I heard that!”

Jake narrowed his eyes at him. “Good. Now stop being a baby.”

My phone chirped with an incoming message. I read it as quickly as I could before typing in ‘red’ as a reply. Dylan piped up from beside me. “What was that about?”

I shrugged. “It’s just a little something I’m planning for Logan.”

“Mind filling us in?” My brother cut in.

I stood up. “Yeah, I do.” I kept it that. “You ladies continue chatting.” I headed to the kitchen as my stomach continued to rumble. “I’m going to go find some food.”

***

I came back a few minutes later with a sandwich and a can of soda in my hands. I found Dylan alone in the living room watching a horror film. I contemplated sitting in the armchair Jake had occupied but decided to return to my earlier seat; not wanting to let Dylan suspect I was still feeling awkward around him despite how badly I’d wanted to completely deny Logan’s accusations towards him.

I wasn’t stupid and knew that my mate’s theory was definitely a possibility. I just didn’t want to believe it until I absolutely knew, without a doubt, that it was true. Until then, I would give my oldest friend the benefit of the doubt. “Where’d Jake disappear to?” I asked as I threw myself onto the couch beside him; setting my can on the coffee table.

He shrugged. “He said he had some pack business to take care of.” He replied nonchalantly.

“Okay, I guess that must be why he’s been on his phone for half of the time I’ve been here.” I mumbled.

I ate my sandwich as slowly as I could; trying to avoid the imminent moment when I had no choice but to talk to Dylan. After I took my last sip of soda, the guy beside me spoke. “Are you okay? You’ve been acting kind of strange.” He asked. I cringed inwardly. I should have known that he would be able to see through me. I grumbled mentally.

I scratched the back of my head awkwardly. “What do you mean?” I mumbled; trying to salvage the situation.  I mentally face-palmed myself. That’s the best response you can come up with?! My wolf yelled at me. You want to try?! I snapped back.

“Chelsea, don’t even try that.” He ordered; his tone urging me to tell the truth. “You can tell me anything, you know that right? Does it have anything to do with Logan?”

“Um, kind of.” I mumbled.

“Did he hurt you?”

“Ugh, for the last time; no!” I snapped; exasperated.

He seemed a little shocked at my tone for a moment before he composed himself. “Then, what is it?” He demanded.

I decided to just spit it out. “Logan said that he didn’t want me coming around here because he said that you had feelings for me.” I rushed out; chasing my words with a chuckle. “That’s pretty ridiculous, right?”