Ten

The scene played in slow motion

The scene played in slow motion. The horses galloping towards each other, their riders sitting straight with their shield on one arm, and the deadly lance in the other.

The moments before collision felt like hours but were mere seconds and the clash of the lance against shield caused an uproar.

The thud of the fallen knight on the hard packed ground was muffled by the uproarious cheering of the crowd. Charlotte joined them, jumping up from her seat to applaud the efforts of their captain.

The dark stallion cantered gracefully as its rider took off his helmet and waved to the crowd. Damon was as handsome as ever and in his silver armour looked rather dashing.

The gold sigil of crossed swords glinted proudly on his chest as he dismounted, and came to kneel in front of the royal pavilion.

She noticed Anastasia and Amber had completely stopped their insistent chatter, and were sitting as gracefully as possible. The man behind Amber scoffed at their antics and she was in full agreement with him.

At a nod from the king, Damon rose and stepped aside to await his next round. They had already gotten their top ten jousters, and only two of the warriors had been disqualified for losing all three lives.

While the next round was being set up, she felt her eyes wonder to her left. Lord Aldvin sat there, moodily swirling his wine around in the goblet.

 Lord Aldvin sat there, moodily swirling his wine around in the goblet

"How much have you had to drink?" She couldn't help but ask. Ever since the tourney began, the courtly Xavier from before had all but vanished. And in his place was a brooding lord who was worse company then Amberley.

"I can hold my wine princess," he growled, "better worry about your favourite knight."

"My favourite knight?" Charlotte held back a laugh as she turned to face him fully. When she realised he was serious, she followed his gaze and found him to be glaring murderously at Damon.

He was jealous. She was offended at first. Who gave him the right to be jealous and act like a sullen child? But then a small smile curved on her lips. Best make most of the situation.