Eleven (I)

Rochelle watched Charlotte as she lead a visibly fuming Damon out of the infirmary

Rochelle watched Charlotte as she lead a visibly fuming Damon out of the infirmary. The curtains around her bed were pulled close again. She laid back on the bed, and tried to forget the throbbing pain in her arm.

She felt the bed dip as someone sat down, and Rochelle couldn't help but hope that it was Graham. She peeked through half closed lids, and tried to keep the wave of disappointment from crashing over her as she looked up at Narcis.

"What are you smiling about?" She grunted, not in the mood for his antics. Even though she had consented to let the Jadus heal her, she was stalling.

She wouldn't admit it even to herself, but she was afraid

She wouldn't admit it even to herself, but she was afraid. Pushing the wayward thought aside she raised her eyebrows as the young magician kept smiling down at her.

"Oh love, it's nothing much. Just that you seem so sweet, and vulnerable when you don't have the power to hurt me."

"Only one of the arms is broken. The other one is working just fine." To prove her point she flexed the fingers of her right hand. "Now get on with the magic will you?"

"Of course milady. But my services come at a price."

"Price? What price?" She sat upright so she could look directly at Narcis.

"I heal you and you answer a question."

"What could you possibly want to know that only I have the answer to?" She rolled her eyes, and moved to cross her arms. At the last moment a sharp sting shot upwards, and she had to close her eyes to keep the pain from overwhelming her.

"Fine. Heal me then I'll answer." She hissed through clenched teeth.

She felt Narcis gently take her hand in his long, cool ones and forced her finger open so her palm faced upwards.

"This will hurt. Tell me to stop when the pain becomes unbearable." He warned.

She nodded once, but kept her eyes closed. Rochelle heard Narcis start mumbling in a language she couldn't understand. The air around them cracked with electricity, her hair stood on ends and her mouth tasted metallic.