Thirty-One (II)

"Excellent work, mortals

"Excellent work, mortals. You pass the test."

Rochelle closed her eyes as the darkness receded from her soul but it hung about her like a layer of oil on her skin. She gulped down the nausea and made herself focus on her cousin and her home.

The halls of Havsham castle opened up in her mind as she chased a ten year old Charlotte down the corridors. She heard their giggles and their laughter. She could hear her uncle's chortle as they raced down the steps. The ladies tsked and the lords bellowed encouragement as they raced past. Rochelle clung to the old memory, letting the glow of that moment wrap itself around her soul.

"Rochelle," Graham breathed from besides her, his grip on her hand tightened. Rochelle pushed down the dread and slowly opened her eyes blinking against the glare.

She stifled a gasp as her eyes adjusted to the bright sunlight. Where before a forest trail had stretched alongside the stream there now stood a magnificent maw of darkness.

Streams from all directions converged at the doorstep of the dark cave and the water condensed into liquid gold. The shallow gilded moat that wrapped around the entire perimeter of the cavern shone under the bright sunlight.

The scene seemed to shimmer and shift before her very eyes as if the cave wasn't in the same world as hers.

"What is this?" Rochelle whispered.

"A prison." A voice answered from inside the darkness of the cave. Rochelle took a small step forward to see if she could catch a glimpse. Tendrils of magic beckoned from the gloom but she couldn't spy the speaker.

"Eldritch?" Rochelle dared to ask, her eyes still scanning the dark cave. Her throat closed up as she said the word. She clutched her neck with her free hand in panic as she felt an unquenchable thirst.

Silky laughter was her only reply. Rochelle couldn't focus, her eyes were riveted on the golden pool. It's surface was clear and smooth but an occasional phantom wind would stir up waves in the water.

She needed to drink.

An insistent invisible tug made her stumble forward a step. "Rochelle," Graham's voice was strained as if he had trouble saying her name. His hold on her hand tightened and he held his ground, not letting her pull them any further.

"Just a sip. I just need one drink." Rochelle rambled. "It's just water. Golden beautiful water. It won't harm me. I'm so thirsty. Come on Graham. It's a few steps. Just a few more steps."

She pulled with all her might but Graham wouldn't budge. She wouldn't let go of his hand. Some sane part of her screamed to keep ahold of it so she didn't dare to loosen her grip. Why couldn't he just come with her? He was being unreasonable. It was just water.

"It calls to you." A mildly curious voice broke into her frustrated thoughts. Rochelle tore her eyes with some effort from the pool to stare into the gloom.