Thirty (III)

"Narcis

"Narcis."

It took all her will to force her voice to not crack on that single word. The Jadus cocked his head to the side and raised his eyebrow in question.

Charlotte's mind reeled with the many memories and conversations she had shared with Narcis and Rochelle but she pushed them away. She locked away the steady stream of images and scenes and tried to focus on the present.

The metallic ring of steel jolted her and she noticed that both Xavier and Damon had unsheathed their swords.

"Why are you doing this, Narcis?" The captain of the guard asked slowly with only a hint of betrayal underlying his tone.

"How he's doing it is more important right now," Xavier put in as he nonchalantly twirled his sword.

"The why is easy enough to answer," Narcis straightened to his full height and fixed the lapels of his dark coat under his shadowy robe.

It was a nervous habit she had noticed many male courtiers employing to gain some time. The motion alone sparked a faint hope in Charlotte. She wondered if Narcis was being forced to do this. If that was the case maybe they could help.

Her words died in her throat and the ray of hope was swallowed up as the Jadus continued his speech, his voice ringing with clear conviction and confidence.

"I was never valued among the Jadus." Narcis spat out, "My own uncle, the Marester, felt I was a waste of magical talent. My twin brother, on the other hand, was a prodigy! The best Jadus born in a century!"

"But he was never cruel to me," Their adversary's voice softened, "how strange is fate? He was strong in magic but weak in body. And I was the opposite. But we loved each other and when he could, he stood up for me. He was the best brother one could ask for. Until an unlikely friendship stole him from me."

"Altrum made that sacrifice on his own." Xavier's voice cut in. Charlotte's head snapped towards Xavier but he was staring straight at the Jadus, his sword arm limp at his side.

"He had no choice!" Narcis screamed, his face settling into a cruel scowl, "he was so sheltered that no one at court even knew he existed until a young lordling happened upon a seemingly weak Jadus."

"I was barely ten years old, Narcis. You can not blame a child for an innocent friendship." Lord Aldvin took a step forward and moved right to the edge of the stone.

Charlotte shared a look with Damon and whispered so low that only the captain could hear. "Signal to your guards. Tell them to protect the villagers. We'll make our stand here."

Damon nodded and smoothly jumped off the roof so he was not in Narcis' direct line of sight. The Jadus was busy glaring at Xavier to even notice.

The darkness around Narcis had swollen and faint cracks had appeared spreading from where he stood on the stone bridge. Charlotte wondered if she should reinforce the ground or see how powerful her former friend really was.