Eleven (II)

The clash of swords rang out as Rochelle jumped up with the crowd to applaud the victor of the round

She marvelled at the skill of the warriors as they partook in a deadly dance of metal. She had been trained by the best, but had very rarely seen such skill on display.

One participant though stood head and shoulders above everyone else. The ease with which he won his every bout was enough to make him a crowd favourite for day two.

And it made her wonder back to a night that seemed so very long ago. Had she really won against a man who was able to disarm seasoned warriors in seconds?

She shook her head as a small break was announced. Only the semi finals and finals remained and they would have their victor. The rounds had progressed faster than expected and the Sun was still high in the sky as everyone made their way to refreshment tables set up along the perimeter.

Rochelle couldn't help thinking that Lord Aldvin had done a marvellous job with the arrangements. Her eyes strayed to the participants on their own accord. Graham stood there laughing along with the other knights as they took a well deserved rest.

One of them stood apart from the group and seemed to repeatedly glance at the castle. She had seen the man around court so she wasn't worried, but a small feeling of dread made her look around at her companions.

Platters of food were brought for their pavilion, but Rochelle refused to eat, her appetite had vanished.

"Rochelle? Why aren't you eating?" Her cousin's concerned words made her look up. She forced a smile on her face and said she wasn't feeling very well.

Rochelle glanced back at where she had seen the solitary knight, but he was gone. She looked frantically among the others but he wasn't there. Maybe he went to sulk with his family and friends. Just like Prince Daniel was doing behind her.

She rolled her eyes as she heard him recount the tale of an injury he had procured yesterday after the jousting. Apparently this sad injury was what had affected his performance earlier that day.

Rochelle rolled her eyes at the exaggerated details and shared a look with her cousin. "He's a keeper Char," she said under her breath.

The princess merely shrugged and with a deep long-suffering sigh got up to join her fiancé. It wouldn't do for her to ignore him so publicly so Rochelle gave her cousin a discreet thumbs up before she left.

She decided to get up and move around as well. The royal pavilion had become crowded as many of the courtiers had decided to spend their break in the presence of royalty.

Passing many simpering ladies and pompous lords Rochelle headed out of the overcrowded area. But luck wasn't on her side.

"Lady Rochelle!"

She turned slowly to see who had called out her name, hoping against hope it wasn't who she thought it was. But once again it didn't seem to be her day.