Twenty-seven (II)

"Ah land! I've missed you!" Jimmy hoped off the gangplank and instantly fell to his knees on the grimy dock

"Ah land! I've missed you!" Jimmy hoped off the gangplank and instantly fell to his knees on the grimy dock. Several people severed out of the way and cursed under their breaths but the boy seemed unfazed.

"Jimmy, are you sure you're a Sherratt?" Captain Ford asked as he followed his nephew, visibly less excited to have solid land under his feet.

"Come lads, play nice." The old Captain Alexander went next after his nephew and grand-nephew.

Three generations of Sherratts stood laughing just a few feet away. Watching them and their easy bond made Rochelle's heart ache.

She had always wanted a family like that. One that could tease and mock each other but always had the other's back. Her uncle and Charlotte had always been good to her. But both had too many duties. Too much responsibility.

She wasn't part of the direct royal line and that was fine by her. But it also meant that she usually felt utterly alone at the palace. Her own immediate family was broken and she was about to step into the domain of the very man who had made it so.

Her fists clenched and she tried to suppress the memories that threatened to engulf her. She took deep breaths trying to keep the emotions under control.

"Do I have to come too?" She called out, leaning against the railing as far as she dared.

Ford looked up at her and smiled. "Come on, Rochelle! It'll be fun. Or so Jimmy and Finn assure me."

"We aren't here for fun, sir," the lieutenant said as he too joined the party on the dock.

"Right you are! Come along. I don't want to stay here longer than is completely necessary." The captain glanced at his uncle once before quickly redirecting his gaze to her.

Rochelle tried not to grumble but she was visibly reluctant as she stepped onto the wooden plank. She hesitated before taking the last few step but berated herself for her foolish behaviour.

There was nothing to be scared of. Her mother couldn't possibly know that she was there. Right? It was impossible. She didn't have to face her. They just had to restock and then they could leave.

"Why don't you want to go?" Rochelle jumped when she heard Graham speak over her shoulder.

"Who said I don't?" She asked, trying to cover up how jumpy she was.

The entire company turned to look at her with various degrees of incredulity.

"Fine," she relented, crossing her arms over her chest. She had left her cloak back in her cabin as it was too hot to wear it but her sword was a reassuring weight secured against her belt, "I just don't like Lysander."

"You've been here before?" Graham asked.

"No."

"Then, why..."