Twenty-three

The sea-breeze blew inland bringing with it the taste of the unknown and the promise of adventure

Rochelle took a deep breath to calm her nerves. She could do this. She clutched the strap of the satchel across her shoulder and looked around once more.

The wharf was alive with activity. There were people running to catch their ships, lads hauling crates and their superiors shouting directions. It was a flurry of sights and sounds and Rochelle had originally just enjoyed it when she came down from the castle.

It was impossible to think that only a few hours ago all these people joined the King's mourning procession. Now they all went about as if nothing was wrong.

She had stopped in the village square and had let Narcis' horse go. The Jadus had said that the horse would know the way back and surprisingly as soon as she had dismounted, the horse had started back towards the palace at a steady pace.

After that she had just followed the tide of people, and soon enough she stood looking out at the Great Sea. Large ships bobbed in the waves, some anchored further from the shore-line.

The ships that lined this edge of the coast were all passenger ships and the ones marooned further down would be the merchant ships that carried goods.

Rochelle cursed under her breath as she crossed the same stretch of land for what seemed like to her the hundredth time. She had been there for over an hour and still couldn't find the ship Narcis had booked for her. The one headed for Caim.

She really should've asked him for the ship's name or even the captain's! The only thing she knew was that the ship would have a red stripe running along its hull.

Well there wasn't a single red stripe in sight!

Keep calm, Rochelle. She said to herself. You can do this.

She wasn't going to give up. She knew she hadn't missed it since no ship had left the harbour since she arrived. All the ships were still there, bouncing happily on the waters, watching her slowly lose her patience.

Even the ship hands and the conductors had all noticed her crazy march along the water-front. They probably thought that she was some noble running away from home.

Well for their information she was on a very secret and very vital mission.

But first she needed to find her bloody ship!

She was half-convinced that Narcis was just playing an elaborate trick on her and was willing to go back to the castle when she felt her hair rise on end. She was certain that someone was watching her.

Rochelle looked around discreetly as she slowed her pace down to a walk. She hugged her satchel closer to herself. No one was going to pick-pocket her, not today!