Twenty-six

"Keep moving, your majesty

"Keep moving, your majesty. We would want to reach camp before it gets dark," One of the men sneered as Charlotte tried to keep her balance on the uneven ground.

"Gentleman, you promised to behave." Xavier spoke over his shoulder. He was leading the group with the brutish man named Falin.

"Ah that we did. But that don't mean we can't have any fun." Someone pipped up from her left.

"Yeah, old habits die hard, won't ya say?" Another one snickered from close by.

They had been walking for so long that the Sun was already high up in the sky. Her legs were burning and her muscles ached, but she refused to ask for a respite. It would've been better if they let them ride on their horses. But Hayden's had bolted and the remaining two were confiscated by the rebels.

Even with their callous talk and booming laughter, the group of about a dozen rebels didn't seem threatening. Especially now that they didn't have the cover of darkness.

Though the leader of this company was another matter entirely. Falin was a man of few words and had near soundlessly been leading the way for the past few hours. His mere presence was enough to strike fear into the hearts of those around him, but Xavier seemed at ease around him.

That was another thing that bothered her; how comfortable Lord Aldvin was in the company of the Whites. Lethe had already explained his involvement but still it didn't sit right with her.

She shook the thoughts of Lethe away and continued making her way on the treacherous forest floor. This was neither the time nor the place to sit and contemplate the rebel leader and his fate.

They seemed to be heading north-east and by her estimation had already skirted around the borders of Asbury. If they were lucky, they would soon reach the small village of Marlin. Maybe someone there would be willing to help her.

Just as the thought crossed her mind, they changed directions and started due north towards the rising peaks of the Wakhim range. These mountains ran the length of Frahadry with their foothills in the very backyard of Havsham castle itself.

"How much further?" Hayden grumbled from besides her as he helped her over a few overgrown roots.

Not surprisingly they didn't receive any answer.

The ordeal continued for another couple of hours and by the position of the Sun Charlotte was sure it was already past noon.

She was certain that if they didn't stop she was going to simply fall over and die. Already she could feel her limbs getting heavier and her mind closing up. It had been so long since she had any proper rest and her body was well past it's limits.

Just as she was about to give in, the company stopped. The rebels that surrounded her all dispersed into the dense forest and soon they were only left with Falin.