Nineteen

Wisps of her dark hair fluttered in the breeze as Rochelle breathed in the fresh mountain air laden with the heavy scent of the many forget-me-nots that surrounded her

There was a distinct underlying new perfume of the blood red roses that waved merrily in the wind. Rochelle focused on the blooms in their thorn bushes and tried to forget what lay underneath.

It had been a long day. A very very long day. And Rochelle felt exhausted both mentally and emotionally. She didn't know what to think, what to say. She could deal with her emotions. She could lock them away. But she didn't know how to console her cousin. What could she say that would help?

Rochelle had thought over that same question most of last night, but nothing came to her. Her heart had broken as she saw Charlotte staring blankly out her window. Reliving the memories, wishing she had had time for more.

Tears leaked from her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. Rochelle swiped angrily at them. She lowered her head and allowed her curtain of dark hair to hide her from the world.

"We should head back."

Rochelle looked up at Lord Edwin's words and noticed that the Asbury sisters and most of Jadus had already left. Charlotte nodded from her spot near the rose bush and Hayden helped her to her feet.

"We have done what we can," Her cousin's voice shook, but it held up against the howling winds and Rochelle knew right then and there that Charlotte would be fine. "May the Queens guide them home."

The princess skimmed her fingertips over some of the flowers and turned back towards the castle. Rochelle couldn't bring herself to follow. She felt frozen, and had an intense desire to run wildly and break down into tears at the same time.

"Aren't you coming?"

Hayden's voice broke into her thoughts and she focused on his face to keep her vision clear. It had started to swim with tears and the hysteria had threatened to suffocate her.

Rochelle drew in a long deep breath and shook her head. "I'll come later."

The young lord looked as if he was about to ask if he could stay, but his father's voice from further down the hill interrupted him.

Charlotte and Lord Edwin were almost at the base and they were probably wondering what was delaying them.

"Tell them I'll return to the castle in a little while."

"Try not to stay long," Hayden relented and with one final wave turned to follow the thin winding path down the mountainside.

Rochelle looked towards the castle and saw that all the colourful flags had been replaced with dark strips that flapped viciously in the wind. The sea was on the other side of the castle, but she could smell the salt in the air. The Sun shone and the birds chirped. It was just another day in the grand scheme of things.