Twenty-nine (I)

"What is going on here?"

The Sun had started its decent towards the horizon when Rochelle stepped out of the Duke's Villa. The main gates were already open before she crossed the courtyard with her mother and brother. But to their surprise a crowd of guards were gathered around the doors, trying to keep someone out.

"We are sorry but visiting hours are over." One of the guards intoned in a monotonous voice.

"We've been here for hours! You are going to tell me where the duchess' daughter is right this instance!" The voice sounded familiar and Rochelle tried to catch a glimpse of the two men who were struggling to gain entry.

"Mother you wait here for a moment." Rochelle's younger brother, Sebastian said. "I'll go see what is going on."

Lady Giselle had her brows furrowed and nodded. Things were less strained between mother and daughter and Rochelle was grateful for it. The past was in the past. She would never forget what had happened but she could learn to live with it. To not let her mother's mistakes define her life.

Sebastian hurried towards the guards and Rochelle moved to follow him. The guards instantly made way for the young Duke of Foltron and the boy came to a stop just on the edge of his premises.

"What is the meaning of this?" Sebastian thundered with more conviction and authority than one would expect from a boy barely into his tenth summer.

Rochelle came to a stop besides her brother and trained her eyes on the two men outside the gates. She couldn't help the smile that stretched across her features. She leaned forward and called, "what's the matter, boys. Did you miss me too much?"

"She's in a better mood." Graham mumbled as Ford stepped forward with evident relief. A light sting of guilt gnawed at her insides at the way she had treated the captain back on the docks. He was only trying to help her and she had snapped at him.

"We thought--" Ford stopped just a few feet from her and was struggling for words. She smiled reassuringly back at him. "I'm fine. I just wasn't thinking straight this morning. A few things needed ironing out before my ruffled feathers settled."

"Is that the Knight that came with Prince Daniel?" Lady Giselle asked from over Rochelle's shoulder. She had moved closer and was scrutinizing the visitors.

Rochelle shared an amused glance with her brother before she noticed how uncomfortable Graham seemed under her mother's scrutiny.

Graham coughed once before bowing slightly and saying, "yes, your grace. I'm Prince Daniel's personal guard and head of security."

"Then is the prince here with you too?" Her mother asked, obviously imagining a royal wedding for her daughter.

"Of course not." Rochelle scoffed. She started to move towards the Captain and Graham but her mother caught her arm.