Thirty one (I)

"This is the weirdest island I've ever docked on," Ford mused aloud as he helped haul the small boat onto the sand

"What did you expect from something that's not supposed to exist?" Graham growled.

Rochelle ignored them and walked a few feet across the soft sand towards the looming treeline. The water that lapped against her ankles shimmered in varying colors of green and blue but her attention was fixated on the forest ahead.

Giant trees that clawed through the low-hanging mist towards the morning Sun stood as silent pillars guarding their island. In between these ancient sentries smaller trees of every hue and size imaginable filled the forest. Small tributaries of the glittering water made their way in curving paths to the Great Sea.

But it was the utter lack of sound that unnerved her. No bird called from the colorful jungle, not even a rustle from the underbrush reached her ears. There were fruits the likes of which she had never seen or heard of hanging abundantly from the boughs but she didn't dare pick one.

There was something wrong about the island. As if the mist and shadows had eyes and they didn't like their paradise being disturbed.

"I think we should hurry up." She said over her shoulder, swallowing the feeling of unease.

"If I was an all-powerful ancient being where would I hide on an island more colourful than Clara's wedding dress?" Ford mumbled.

"Mother had a colourful wedding dress?" Jimmy asked in confusion.

Both of his uncles and even his great-uncle Alexander shuddered.

"You were too young to remember the wedding but I always thought that of all my brother --- brood she always did know how to make a statement. But that's a story for another time." Captain Alexander smiled and clapped Jimmy on the shoulder before they all came up besides her.

Ford had left Finn in charge of Vermilion and the great war ship bobbed in the deep waters, it's flags flapping wildly in the wind as if it too was urging them to hurry.

"I suggest some of us stay here with the boat. It wouldn't be wise for all of us to venture into the forest," Ford said with his arms crossed. He threw a pointed look at Jimmy who was gaping at the colourful foliage.

"I'll stay behind with James." Captain Alexander volunteered.

Jimmy's head snapped up and he shook his head. "I want to go on the adventure with them! I always get left behind!" He whined.

"You'll be our backup, Jimmy." Rochelle clapped the young boy on the shoulder. "Who knows what's going to happen on Caim. We need you and captain Alexander here so you could signal the Vermilion for help if something happens. Our very lives could depend on it!"

"Well...that does sound like an important task.." Jimmy considered for a while and then a wide smile broke across his features. "You can count on me, Rochelle! I'd be right here! Nothing could move us from the spot, right great-uncle?"