Twenty-four

She couldn't believe that he was actually there

She couldn't believe that he was actually there. That he had come for her.

Just to make sure that he wasn't just a figment of her imagination Charlotte reached out across the bars and lightly touched his face. The hard panes and lines of Xavier's face softened and he stepped right up the bars, clenching the metal between them.

"Charlotte," he whispered again and she was surprised to hear his voice breaking on that single word.

"I'm here," she felt the need to respond. To reassure whom she wasn't exactly sure.

A loud cough broke the moment and Xavier opened his eyes with a growl.

"What?" He snapped over his shoulder.

"Sorry to disturb you two, but I would rather we leave this god forsaken dungeons before one of Gideons men discovers you here." Lethe said as he leaned against one of the walls of his cell.

Xavier mumbled something under his breath and when he met her eyes Charlotte couldn't help but offer a smile.

She nodded at him and stepped away clearing her throat before asking, "How did you break in?"

"He posed as my valet," A voice said from the darkness

"Hayden!" She smiled as the northerner sauntered into the candlelight, swinging a ring of keys around his finger.

"At your service, your majesty." Lord Hayden winked at her and threw the keys towards Xavier who easily caught them midair.

Charlotte and Lethe were soon out of their cells and they were racing through the many hallways of the dungeons. When they passed the interrogation chambers she skidded to a halt and clutched her cloak tighter around herself.

"Charlotte, what's wrong?" Xavier came back and put a hand on her elbow. She continued to stare at the doors and willed herself not to relive the pain.

She swallowed down the growing nausea and felt Xavier's hand tighten. "One of the rooms had recently been used. Charlotte? What did he do?"

Charlotte couldn't meet his eyes. She didn't know why she didn't just tell him what had happened.

As her mind raced to try and form a response Lethe spoke up, "Diego just had some fun. Trying to remind me how expendable I was apparently. There is no need to worry, I've borne worse."

Charlotte looked at the rebel leader and wondered why he had lied for her. But she nodded along and started walking away. Xavier didn't seem convinced but followed along, knowing full well that the time to demand answers would come later.

"Good luck, your majesty." She stopped when she heard that soft tone.

"Faust!" Charlotte turned towards the prisoner to find that he was smiling at her. When she turned to call to the men to come back, Faust just waved her away.