Twenty-seven (I)

"And I think that's the last of them," Ford said as they stood watching the bulbous green creature thrashing in the water, the harpoons punctuating it's body

Rochelle wiped her brow and cringed when her hand came away sticky with the slime from the first monster she had helped take down.

"That was beyond disgusting. I didn't realise that there would be this many."

"It's only just begun," The captain said as he lead the way back towards their rooms.

"Begun? It's going to get worse?"

Rochelle couldn't begin to imagine how that was possible. The Sun was just beginning to set and they all took a minute of respite after the long battle. She looked around at the destruction the swarm of monsters had caused and wondered what worse would look like.

No lives had been lost but there were several sailors that had been injured critically. The ship itself had scratches and dents aplenty. Rochelle noticed how Ford's face darkened as he surveyed the damage.

Was he regretting agreeing to this?

As if he had read her thoughts the captain said, "Vermillion and my crew have borne worse. Go clean up for dinner, Rochelle."

She nodded without complaint, being too tired to put up resistance at being told what to do. At the back of her mind she wondered where Graham was. She had glimpsed him a few times but had ducked out of the way before he could spy her.

Rochelle shook her head and tried not to think about him. It wouldn't do her sanity any good. She sighed as she entered her room and began the arduous task of getting the foul smelling gunk from out of her hair.

-------------

An hour or so later and she felt fresher than before. She had learned something valuable from her day two on board Vermillion.

Proceed with caution and attempt killing sea monsters from a distance. They have a tendency to spill their innards on the unsuspecting person who was stupid enough to slash at them with their sword.

Feeling satisfied and capable of writing a book titled: A Lady's Guide to Vanquishing Vile Monsters, tales from aboard the Vermillion, she sauntered into the dinning hall.

It was emptier than usual but the buzz of light and laughter was still there. This time she only garnered a handful of glances as she took her seat at the head table. The captain and Finn were discussing damages, but they offered her a smile when she sat down.

A tired looking Graham walked in a few minutes later and Rochelle found herself unconsciously looking for an injury. She told herself that it was only normal for her to care if he was hurt or not. It didn't have to mean anything at all.

She cared about all her fellow passengers equally. She was just a generally good person. Yes, that right. Graham wasn't any special.

Her thoughts were broken when the seat next to hers was suddenly occupied. She looked to her side, startled. Little Jimmy smiled at her and then at his uncles that sat across the table from them.