Twenty (II)

Charlotte had had enough of surprises

Charlotte had had enough of surprises. She didn't think her heart could take it anymore. Instead of speeding up, it had slowed down. She felt as if she was drowning. The strings of her magic seemed to dissipate through her though she was the only one who saw them.

Was this what it felt like to feel your Elemantas leave you? It was peaceful. She could close her eyes and it would all be over. It was so simple.

Her eyes already started feeling heavy. She wouldn't have to deal with anything. The questions could be answered by someone else. Why had they landed on her shoulders? Besides she could see her family again.

But her brother might not be there.

Her eyes snapped open and the green tendrils of pure energy pulled taut. They quickly receded back inside her and she staggered back a few steps.

Charlotte focused on her breaths. She was breathing. She was alive. And she was determined to get answers.

A new fire lit inside of her as she met the pale green eyes of the man that claimed to be Gideon. He lounged lazily on the throne, his feet carelessly crossed at the ankles.

Undignified.

That was the first thought that crossed her mind. Her subconscious tried to align his features with paintings of her brother she had seen. Granted he would've changes as he got older, but the features should've remained the same for the most part.

And it seemed they had. Same dark red hair that curled messily around his head. Sparkling green eyes that spoke volumes of the intellect of their holder. Harsh features so very different to her softer ones. She had always wondered why her brother looked nothing like either of their parents. But the resemblance between the little prince in the paintings and this knight was undeniable.

But he wasn't her brother. Of that she was sure. If Diego was her brother, her father would've said something the first time they met the knight. A hint, maybe even a comment.

Unless he wanted to hide something.

The agenda of the Whites that Xavier had told her came back slowly. She recalled how they claimed that Prince Gideon wasn't dead. That her father had killed the Queen.

It was impossible. She wouldn't believe it. She shook her head and spoke a single word. A word that quieted the whispering courtiers behind her. A word that resonated in the hall and seemed to magnify in intensity.

"Liar."

It hung in the air long after she had said it and everyone held their breath, waiting to see how the knight would respond.

"Not the warmest of welcomes, I must admit. But it's good to see you too, dearest sister."

She visibly shook with anger at his audacity to continue spitting out such lies. Charlotte met his eyes. A silent duel of wits before she hissed, "You are a liar."