Chapter 23 ~ The First Battle: Brigtport

A week after the Southern Werewolf Tribe arrived, we were ready to make our first move. We decided to reclaim one of the smaller villages: The Village of Brightport.

While we had spent our week training as hard as we could, Luna had used her newfound talents to spy on the Shadow Knights occupying the village. She had told us that at midnight, once all civilians were locked in their homes, a new batch of Shadow Knights would take over the ones that were currently positioned. This would result in a temporary blind spot in their defense. And seeing as Brightport was a smaller village, they wouldn't have as many guards in the first place.

At the stroke of midnight, Melody, Leo, Chris, Naomi, Garroth, Laurance, and myself snuck in while they Shadow Knights rotated shifts. We hid within the shadows all throughout Brightport.

As I lay hidden in the shadows, a lone Shadow Knight approached my hiding spot. They scanned around, and then turned their backs to me. That was their mistake. I snuck behind them with one of my daggers in hand. Once I was directly behind them, I covered their mouth and backstabbed them. They crumpled onto the floor without incident.

We picked off as many as we could one by one in that manner until they noticed their comrades on the floor. They gathered themselves together, but at this point there were maybe a few left.

Finally, a signal was let out, alearting Lady Aphmau, Lucinda, Hailey, and the Southern Wolf Tribe that it was time for them to strike.

The rest of us joined them in attacking the final Shadow Knights head on. Melody assisted from a distance with her crossbow and arrows flaming. She had a miraculous aim, never once striking one of our own. Each Shadow Knight she hit was set ablaze until they finally fell.

Leo preferred to stay in his werewolf form for most of the battle. He attacked using his claws. On occasion, he would swing with the lazuli axe Laurance and Lucinda had given him.

Chris used Cadenza's sword to slay each knight that crossed his path. With the usual anger behind his eyes, he drove his sharp sword into each knight unfortunate enough to cross his path.

Naomi was never much of a fighter. But that did not stop her from laying waste to anyone who believed she was an easy target. She primarily used her cat like agility to dodge each attempt made to kill her. She would usually direct her opponents attack to one of the other knights, and then using her gloves to injure the first Shadow Knight, killing two birds with one stone.

I used both of my lazuli daggers to slash at my own opponents. When one was too far away from me, I would toss my dagger, and once they fell, I picked it back up to use again.

Luna made sure no one escaped. At any point where someone would try to do so, she would either warn us, or use her ghostly appearance to her advantage. She'd block the exits by just standing there, and they'd be afraid to go through her to escape.

Garroth, Laurance and Aphmau fought together as a trio. The three all used swords to tear down their enemies. On occasion, they would work together to lay waste to a common enemy.

Hailey and Lucinda used their witchcraft to heal any of us that needed it. Other than that, they used splash potions of harming and poison to pick off Shadow Knights that were nowhere in the vicinity of us.

The Southern Werewolf Tribe used a variety of tactics. Most of them were similar to that of Leo's. They would use their claws and strong paws to pin the knights to the ground before ending them.

By sunrise, we had finished the job. The village of Brightport was released from the Shadow Lord's hold.

"Thank you so much!" The villagers cheered. "We can't thank you enough for what you've done for us!"

Aphmau spoke to them. "It was our pleasure!"

"Is there something we can do to repay your kindness?" They asked.

As Aphmau began to tell them about our little "rebellion" and such, I noticed that Chris and Leo had begun fighting.........again

"I bet I defeated more Shadow Knights." Leo remaked.

"No way! You didn't even defeat half of what I did!" Chris retorted

"Really? You're not even half as strong as me!"

"I'm way stronger than you!"

"Keep it down and act mature!" I hissed.

"Or what? You'll kick my butt? You and what army?" Chris mocked.

I raised an eyebrow. "It's not like you have an army to protect you. I'll have a knife in your back faster than you can blink." I threatened.

"I can easily take it down. I did the first time we met!"

"I was unprepared that time. I won't be as easy to take down next time."

"Oh yeah?! You wanna see right now?!" Chris angrily remarked.

"Weren't you about to fight Leo?" I asked.

"You can't take us both on!" Leo added.

"Fine! THEN ILL FIGHT LEO FIRST! IVE ALREADY BEATEN YOU BEFORE!"

"ALRIGHT THEN LETS GO!" Leo prepared to fight him.

"DID I NOT TELL YOU TO ACT MATURE!?" I yelled back.

"SHUT UP!" They both yelled at me.

"Guys!" Naomi approached us. "Maybe it's not a good idea to fight just yet. We're all still trying to recover from earlier."

She was right. I was still kinda tired.

Leo sighed. "You're right. I'll take it easy for now."

Naomi beamed. A bright smile spread across her face.

"IM NOT GONNA BACK DOWN!! FIGHT ME IF-" Chris began to yell.

"CAN IT OR ELSE!!" I boomed. I think I managed to startle him enough to knock it off. Either way, he and Leo had stopped fighting.

We all regrouped back at the ruins of Phoenix Drop. A few villagers of Brightport had joined the group, and were beginning to help rebuild some of the buildings to shelter our now growing army.

I was so pleased to think that we had succeeded in winning our first battle. Defeating the Shadow Lord himself seemed closer, and maybe, just maybe.............

We would be able to defeat him soon........

A/N Hey! So I'm still a bit sick and I'm still going through a bit of writers block, but I'm pleased to say that I think I might be able to work through it. What I'm thinking is that I'll describe each battle in detail, and that will be a chapter long. Either that, or I just briefly summarize and get to the more important bits, even tho these battles are important. Also, IM SO PUMPED FOR SEASON 3 OF MCD THE TRAILER MADE ME CRY IM SO HAPPY THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT :3

Anyway, I need to go to bed. I'm a bit tired, so I'll see you guys next chapter. Bye /)^3^(\