Chapter 16 ~ Moonset

".....Do you expect me to believe that?" Luna scoffed.

"Why would we lie?" I asked.

"You're obviously desperate for my wyvern scale. Am I to believe that you aren't trying to take it?"

"We would've taken it by now if we were that desperate. But we haven't. We respect the fact that the scale is yours to with as you please. However, we wish to know where the scale came from, so we can get our own." Melody answered.

"Look, I'm sorry. All I know is that it was passed down to me from an ancestor that lived long ago." Luna replied.

"Well, thanks anyway." I sighed.

"No......thanks for giving me something to eat. Maybe you guys aren't all bad." She said.

The three of us walked back home. The sun had long since set, and it began to rain, the pitter patter of the drops breaking the silence between the three of us. Amidst it all, I swore I could have heard the clatter of bones.

As we neared Lucinda's cottage, the clang of bones became louder, and a hissing noise and a chorus of moans rang through the air.

As I turned to the source of the noise, and arrow skimmed my face. Melody and I jumped to fight, a flurry of arrows streaming from her bow. My dagger found its mark in the chests if the many monsters that had been stalking us.

We thought we had taken control of the situation, when a blood curdling cry rose above the mob sounds.

My heart sunk when I turned to see cause. It was Luna. An arrow had pierced her chest, and the culprit stood behind her. The color in Luna's face was beginning to fade.

"LUNA!!" I cried.

Melody disposed of the skeleton who launched the arrow. With that, there were only three of us left.

Luna fell to the floor. Melody and I rushed to her aid. I could feel the warmth leaving her.

"Hang on!" I cried. "We're almost there! Lucinda can help!"

"I-I feel a tingling sensation......" Luna choked.

"......The arrow was poisoned......." Melody said dismally.

"T-there's no way you can save me now. I........ I feel faint."

"Luna......please......." I sobbed.

"You didn't know much about me, yet you two still cared about me. I-I thank you for this." She said in an almost whisper.

".....No......." I muttered.

"Whatever happens from here on out, please try to free the world of the Shadow Lord's reign. I told myself I couldn't trust anyone until death, and now I must trust you...."

"Luna..... Please try to save your-" Melody started.

Luna tried shaking her head. "It's use. I'm begging you. Complete the task I came here to do....."

Before she could finish her sentence, Luna's blood ran cold. Luna perished there, as the moon began to set and the sun rose over the horizon on a dismal day.........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melody and I took Luna's corpse to Lucinda's cottage where everyone had long since woken up.