Chapter 9 ~ A Missing Key

"What?" We yelled.

"I know I had the wyvern scale, but I can't find it! We need it to open the Irene Dimension!" Lucinda frantically looked around the room.

"When's the last time you saw it?" I asked.

"Ugghhh.........I remember I had it right after Aphmau was....................and I took it along with Lillith, until Zoey decided to take care of............ZOEY!!!" Lucinda talked in fragments. Her story wasn't making any sense.

"Could Lucinda~Chan repeat that? Naomi~Chan doesn't know what any of that means!" Naomi asked.

"I'm lost as well...." Laurance said.

"Remember Lillith Garnet?" Lucinda asked.

Laurance nodded. The rest of us, except for Chris, were lost.

"Who's Lillith Garnet?" Leo asked.

"She was the adoptive daughter of Lady Aphmau, as well as Aaron's." Chris replied.

Lucinda nodded. "The scale was Lillith's, passed down from the wyvern named Raven. After Aphmau's death, Lillith remained here, as did everyone else who survived. Zoey offered to take Lillith to her home land, and she must have taken the scale with her!" Lucinda panicked, turning the place upside down in an effortless search for the scale.

"How rare are these scales?" Melody asked.

"Very rare. Despite a group of wyverns living here when Aphmau was still Lord of Phoenix Drop, I've only seen one loose scale." She replied.

"Do you think we can find the scale?" I asked.

Lucinda shook her head. "Zoey and Lillith are long gone..............."

"How did you barely notice that it was gone?" Laurance asked.

"I've been busy the past few centuries trying to gather the other ingredients. I assumed that I still had the scale." Lucinda sighed.

"Well, is everything else ready?" I asked.

Lucinda nodded.

"We should try to track down a scale, or even the wyverns themselves. For now, all we can do is rest up. I'm sure we're all tired after the fight." Melody suggested.

We all agreed that it was the best course of action for now. Lucinda allowed Laurance to sleep in the spare bed. The five of us slept on the floor in our sleeping bags.

I awoke somewhere around midnight. Everyone else seemed to be asleep. I decided to go outside to get some fresh air.

I walked along the ruins of Phoenix Drop. I imagined how beautiful this place must have been long ago. I made my way to the plaza, where the statue of Lady Aphmau stood. I saw a figure looking at the statue.

I inched closer and closer to the figure, hoping not to alert it of my presence. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that Laurance was also awake.

"Aphmau, I'm sorry. For everything that I have done.......I wish I could have saved you......I wish I didn't go nuts when I lost you.....I wish you could be here.......we need you more than ever.......I hope you're looking at us from above..." He rambled.

After talking to the statue, he left for Lucinda's house. I made sure that he did not notice me.

Once he was gone, I approached the statue. I gazed at the stone carved in Lady Aphmau's visage. It looked so life-like......... The person who carved it had a talent.

I looked at the base of the statue, and ran my fingers over the large crack that ran across it. The crack was deeply engrained into the base of the statue. I wondered how the whole thing didn't crumble.

I decided that I'd go back to bed. I approached Lucinda's place, but I stopped. I noticed that something was floating in the brook. I walked over, and retrieved the object.

It was a journal. There was a moon on the cover, and a couple of pages were sticking out and torn. The book was soaking wet, and its owner was nowhere to be seen. I decided to look for clues inside of the journal. I opened the book to the first page, and I began to read.

"Here goes nothing......" I thought aloud.

A/N *Does a happy dance* Garroth is alive! Garroth is alive! Garroth is alive! I'm so happy! You have no idea how crazy I was going when I thought that he was dying. I was ready to use anyone within a five food radius of me as a punching bag to let out all of the hatred I had for that Baka who shall not be named. Aside from that, I wanted to let you guys know that I wanted to a Q and A with my OCs. Aphmau's Q and A on Wednesday got me thinking that you guys might have questions for my character. There's a list of my OCs in the announcement I put on the "conversations" tab on my profile. I want to post that in my art book, but I get the feeling that most of you won't see it. And I don't want to post a part that isn't a chapter. So if you have any ideas, leave them in the comments, along with any questions you might have for my OCs (or even me) and I'll see you next chapter. Bye /)^3^(\