Chapter 7 ~ The Quartz Portal

The witch's house was cozy, and the witch herself was hospitable. She even cooked us all some soup (though I swear I saw a spider eye floating in there). While it was nice, I was confused as to why she helped us.

"I'm sorry about earlier, but it's the first time in centuries since someone has come here. I did not know if you were friend or foe." The witch said.

"Centuries?" Naomi asked.

"Witches age slowly, though we are not immortal." She replied.

"Well, thank you for the meal. We should get going." Melody said.

"Not so fast. What are you doing here, in these woods?" The witch asked.

"The Shadow Knights are after us, and we have no place to hide." Leo replied.

"I see. Oh! Where are my manners? My name is Lucinda. My owl here is Bigglesworth."

After a round of introductions, Lucinda looked at us curiously.

"What's the matter Lucinda~Chan?" Naomi asked.

"You all have a familiar aura about you. Each one of you remind me of friends that lived several lifetimes ago." Lucinda replied.

"Who were those friends?" Chris asked.

"I had so many from that time. It seems like just yesterday they all began to perish, starting with Aphmau and her company............." Lucinda began to tear up.

"You mean.......there really was a Lady Aphmau?" Leo questioned.

Lucinda nodded. "She was a good person. Her kindness knew no bounds. It was heartbreaking to know that she died in battle. My only regret is that I could not save her from her demise........"

"W-were sorry if we brought up bad memories........." I said.

"N-no. It was nice to remember the good old days, even if those days are no more......." Lucinda trailed off.

"At any rate, I'd like it if you could stay the night." She finished.

"What?" The five of us blurted out.

"There is something that I need help with, and you might just help me finish this project. I'll explain everything in the morning." She said as she ushered us all to a guest room, where she let us spend the night.

The next morning, Lucinda led us outside the large wall that surrounded the ruins of Phoenix Drop. We walked a few feet away from the gates, until we arrived at a quartz structure.

"There are some herbs that I need for this project. If you would be so kind as to help me with this, that would be great." Lucinda said.

"Why do we have to do this?" Chris complained.

"Consider it payment for letting you spend the night in my home. I'll give you each one herb to find. Report to me when you have found it." She replied.

I was sent to find a Lilly of the Valley. I found it not too far off from the quartz monument.

We met up at the quartz structure once we had found the herbs. Lucinda took the herbs.

"Thank you............." She said, a look of dismay crossing her face.

"What are those plants for anyway?" I asked.

"They're supposed to be for a ritual, but it is missing one thing: a sacrifice........" Lucinda replied.

"Y-you weren't thinking about using us for the sacrifice, were you Lucinda~Chan?" Naomi asked.

"Heavens no!! I was hoping I'd have an answer to that problem by now, but I don't. I thank you for helping me find the rest of the ingredients."

"What is the ritual supposed to do?" Melody asked.

"I was trying to open a portal into the Irene Dimension........." Lucinda answered.

"ARE YOU CRAZY? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA  WHAT COULD GO WRONG?" Chris blurted out.

"Quiet! Would you let her explain?" I yelled.

Chris grumbled, but he stayed quiet.

"Long ago, my friends were sent to the Irene Dimension. They were able to escape, but one of them was not so lucky. With the Shadow Lord in charge, I thought we needed him here to help with the fight." She explained.

"But how are we going to get him back?" Melody asked.

"You won't.............." A demonic voice rang out.

A Shadow Knight walked out from his hiding place in the bushes. He stared at us, his crimson red eyes sending chills down my spine.

"Long time no see Lucinda............."

A/N So I'm watching the MyStreet episode, and Kawaii~Chan starts to have a fangirl moment. She starts screaming, and all I can think about is "FANGIRL DRAGON ROAR!!!!!" I think I've been watching too much Fairy Tail (but I don't care). That, and I really hope that everyone cosplays as their counterpart from MCD. That would be awesome. Anyway, I'll see you next chapter. Bye /)^3^(\