Chapter 17 ~ A Glimmer of Hope

I rubbed my eyes, unable to believe what I was seeing. When I could see again, I was greeted with the emptiness of the ancient ruins.

"I knew it.......I couldn't have seen that....." I signed.

I could've sworn that Luna was standing in front of me. I could've sworn that I heard her voice.......but I guess my mind was playing tricks on me. After all, I saw her die right before my very eyes.

I heard her voice speak again. "Lexi.....Can you hear me?"

I looked around, but I saw nothing.

"What is going on?" I said.

"Lexi.........can you see me?"

I looked around again, but no such luck.

"My mind must be playing tricks on me......"

"Why do you say that?" The voice spoke again.

I couldn't take it anymore. "Who's there? Come and face me!" I cried.

"Lexi.........it's me........"

"What?" I looked around me, but still I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. "Where are you?"

"Turn around........."

I turned around, and I saw a phantom.........

The rest is a blur.........fading away into darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up in a bed in Lucinda's cottage. Melody sat at the end, reading a book.

I sat in bed, rubbing my eyes. Melody looked up from her book.

"How are you doing Lexi?" She asked.

"W-what happened to me?" I asked.

"..........We found you passed out by the ruins of Lady Aphmau's house........." She said.

"What happened to me?" I asked.

She stayed silent.

"Melody......why did I pass out?" I asked again.

Still not a word from her.

"M-Melody?"

She sighed. "You saw something by the ruins, and it overwhelmed you."

"What did I see?"

".................."

"Melody, what did I see?"

"I'll show you.......but you better brace yourself......."

She left me alone in the room. I tried my hardest to remember what I saw, but I had no clear memories. I decided to prepare myself for the worst, but no warning could prepare me for who walked into the room next.

Luna walked into the bedroom, or rather, she hovered inside. I could see right through her, and all color was lost from her face. Her legs and arms faded into the air. That's when I realized, I was staring at Luna's ghost.

"Lexi? Lexi can you see me?" She asked.

Tears formed in my eyes, and I began to shake. "I-I-It can't be........I SAW YOU DIE!" I cried.

"Lexi, let me explain!" She said.

"Is this some cruel joke?" I sobbed.

"Lexi......."

"I couldn't save you, I saw you die right in front of me....." I rambled, hugging my knees to my chest and rocking back and forth.