Chapter 12 ~ Monsters

I was the first to wake up the following morning. It was nice to escape reality, if only for a moment. But if we didn't find a way to overthrow the Shadow Lord, escape would be impossible. And right now, our only hope of escape was to fight back, and Garroth was a key player in that plan. If he's as powerful as Laurance and Lucinda, then we may have a chance to begin a revolution.

As I strolled around the ruins, I caught sight of the skeletons and zombies that began to burn in th early morning sunlight. A few creepers and spiders roamed about, unaffected by the sun's rays.

I began to wonder about a time when the Shadow Lord wasn't a threat. When the biggest threat was a creeper or an army of the undead. With the Shadow Lord and his Knights still running the show, it was easy to forget that these creatures existed. They paled in comparison to the monster that claimed the throne of Ru'aun.

As I strolled through the ruins, I found myself at the plaza, by the statue of Lady Aphmau. Every time I passed by it, I couldn't help but notice how detailed it was. The fear carved in her eyes looked so real........ It sent chills down my spine.

I heard an explosion coming from the mines by the plaza. It seemed as if someone had provoked a creeper inside of the mineshaft. I decided to go down and investigate. The girl I had seen last night was there. She was cornered by a pack of creepers, and a large crater was beside her.

"Get back!" She yelled at them, waving a sharp, golden stone as a weapon.

I pressed myself against a wall in the mine, so the creepers wouldn't notice me. I reached for the dagger in my backpack, and I lashed out at the creepers. I managed to kill most of them, with one knocking me back as it exploded. When the mine was clear, I approached the girl.

"Thank you....." She said quietly.

"You're welcome. What are you doing in the mines?" I asked.

".....Nothing........" She hesitated.

I wanted to pry for answers. Her journal had provided some answers, but it also raised some questions.

"....So, what are you doing in a place like this?" I asked.
"........ Nothing......." She replied.

"Is there anything you need?" I tried to be polite.

She shook her head. "I don't need anything, thank you. If you'll excuse me, I need to go."

"I see. Well, if you need anything, I'll be around here." I offered.

She walked out of the mines, and back into the woods without saying a word.

A/N I'm sorry that I didn't update last week. I wasn't feeling well, so I took a break. That and have a bad case of writers block. Anyway, I'm running out of time. I'll post the answers to the Q and A next week. See you next chapter. Bye /)^3^(\