Chapter 22 - Very Happy

"Her Majesty the Queen." I entered Henry's chambers and curtsied. He smiled at me but there was something in his eyes that told me something was wrong.

"What is the matter dear husband?" I wondered taking his shoulders in my hands. He took one of them in his hand and kissed it.

"Nothing my love."

"Henry I thought we not keep secrets?" He sighed

"Charlotte it's nothing to worry yourself about. I swear." He was lying but if I pushed anymore it wouldn't be pretty. I nodded

"If you ever need anything all you need is ask."

"I know, now how does our daughter fair?" Harry brought me to sit on his lap.

"Well, she is a happy baby. But I am beginning to thing she misses her father. Does it not please you, to have another daughter?"

"Nonsense, I've been busy."

"I know, it's just I also know that you want sons and...." He cut me off by kissing me.

"Lottie, I have two sons. Two very healthy sons which prove to me you are my one true wife. You have blessed me and this kingdom of your service. Never should you think that I am not grateful.  Never."

"Okay." I whisper.

"Henry I've been thinking of trying to make a match for Mary. Don't you think? She is long past marital age."

"Yes I will see to it."

"Marvellous. I quite think you would spoil your grandchildren, don't you?" He gave me a quick kiss as I left him to his papers.

-------

That evening I dined with him and later we sat by the fire. I was embroidering something for Beatrice when Master Cromwell was introduced. I did not spare him a glace as he spoke to my husband.

"Majesties." He bowed and turned to face Harry.

"Mr Lambert, has gone to his execution." Master Cromwell informed him.

"And to hell." I spared a glance at my husband then to Cromwell. This Lambert must have been a friend of his because I could tell he was trying to hold onto his emotions.

"Princess Mary begs you to spare the life of her former governess the Lady Salisbury  who she says was like a mother to her." I sighed a little and put down my sewing as Cromwell handed a letter to Harry

"She was also mother to Reginald Pole, whom even heaven can't forgive. Besides I've already spared the boy." he folded up the letter.

"Duke William says that his painter is ill and cannot provide a portrait of the Lady Mary's suitor." Henry huffed

"Then send Master Holbein." Cromwell bowed to the both of us and left.

" A Marriage for Mary?" I grinned he turned to me and nodded.

"Oh I do hope he is a good match."

"I wouldn't hold your breath." I scowled

"Well then if there is no good match maybe it needs a woman touch." He raised his eyebrow.

"A woman touch."

"Do you not wish to have grandchildren? Mary is the only one old enough, thus far to give you that."

"Meddling my dear wife."

"But not in your affairs. In Mary's." I sang. I took the last of my wine and stood.

"Goodnight, my love." I kissed him and retired.

"Lady Jane, in the morning will you ask my uncle to come visit me, please."

"Yes, your majesty." I settled into bed and fell asleep

ux(