Chapter Six - Good vs Bad (Edited)

-Charlotte-

I moaned as the daylight shone onto my face, my eyes fluttered opened and I looked around the room. What happened? I was laid on something firm. My eyes flickered up and I saw Henry sleeping upright and head back. I look around and saw my Uncle the same on the chair. I reached to wake both of them.

"Henry, Charles." they lurched up and opened their eyes.

"Lottie, you're awake." My uncle beamed

"What Happened? I was dancing  then..."

"You fainted" I sighed

"Oh Trust me to faint. " Henry laughed along with Charles.

"It is not your fault my love. In fact you have done something marvellous."

"Sleep?" I wondered. They chuckled.

"No you're with child." I stopped and thought about it.

"Do I have mush for brains it's so me not to think of the obvious sometimes."

"Are you not happy, Lottie." My Uncle laughed as Henry questioned

"Of course I am, my dearest husband was just saying how he wished I was. Then there is me saying it will  happen soon when it already did. Sorry " I looked up at him.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, sweetheart." He kissed me

---------

Court gathered around us for Henry to announce the news.

"My Queen and I have some most glorious news. It is almost three months since our marriage and God has deemed our union to be blessed with a child. The court clapped and cheered.

"God save the Queen" Many others copied

"God save the King."

-3rd Person-

Word has spread like wild fire of the Queen's pregnancy, ambassadors wrote to their masters with such news. Queen Claude of France was over the moon to hear her former lady in waiting now Queen was with child and so close into the union.  However good the news the mood of the royal house hold was about to become sour as three taxmen rode with great haste to deliver sorry news.

"My lord My lord! My lord, we have come with great haste to tell you that a part of the North, as well as Lincolnshire have risen in sudden rebellion against his majesty."  Cromwell beckoned him further.

"There are musters of the commons everywhere and beacons of rebellion burning all night across the hills.  Just four days ago while we were collecting taxes in Hexham we were set upon by an angry mob.  The captured one of the commissioners called Nicholas Bellow, they pulled him down from his horse and beat him to death with their staves."  One began ...

"Among the mob, my lords we saw armed priests urging on the knaves with cries of 'kill them'.  Then we heard that another man William Leach who was known to be in your service had been hanged from a tree".  the second continued ...

"And what did these rebels say that they want?"

"So far as I can tell they want to keep their holy days.  They want their monasteries restored and their churches unmolested and no more taxes."

"I heard that if they prospered with their journey they intended to kill you, my lord Cromwell, four or five bishops and Chancellor Rich.  As devisers of taking church goods and tearing down churches.

"Why do the local gentry not intervene, suppress these traitorous assemblies? Surely they want to protect their lands and holdings" Rich asked.

"They try but the rebels come back greater.  Some say, my lord Cromwell that not hundreds but thousands have risen in rebellion against the King's church reforms."

"There is something far worse than all this though, my lord".

"How could it possibly get any worse?"  Cromwell sighed.

"As we were attacked we heard some of the rebel calling out against her majesty the Queen, calling her a number of names, from harlot, to witch, to heretic and a non believer."  Cromwell gulped, that definitely was worse.

-Charlotte=

I sat biting my lip, Lord Cromwell had just told us news of a rebellion.  I watched in apprehension at my husband.  I could tell he was trying for my sake not to become angry.

"Why did you now know? he asked "You're supposed to know everything that goes on here.  You told me there was little opposition.  On the contrary, you told me that most people were glad to see such places were dissolved.  You were wrong.  You didn't know anything. "Henry slapped his head

"Knave!"

"Henry please" he took a deep breath after looking at me.  I had asked accompany him for a few days till the news had settled in with me.  I needed his presence not to matter what kind of mood because most of the time apart from now he was beyond happy.

"Sit down, write this" he ordered.  I stood up and went to rub his arms to calm him, he slipped his arms around my waist.

"We take it as a great unkindness that our common and inferior subjects should rise against us without any grounds.  As for the taking of the goods of the parish church, it was never intended.  Yet, even if it had been intended true subjects would not have dealt with me, their Prince, in such violence but would have petitioned me for their purpose.  Now, I command you rebels to go home and sin no more and remember your allegiance.  You are duty bound to obey me, your king.  Both by God's commandments and by the law of nature." he finished the letter.

"Your majesties there is something else that is worrying".

"What else?" I asked I saw him visibly gulp.

"There was word that some of the rebels spoke against you your majesty.  From what I am told along with myself, some bishops and Sir Rich.  They wish you dead calling you a harlot, witch, heretic and a none believer." uh-oh.

"Leave" Henry ordered "Now" I Jumped as soon as the door shut I was turned around

"Do not listen to them, Lottie."

"They hate me, they really hate me more than Anne Oh god" I stumbled a bit

"Everything will be okay".

"What did I do, I haven't done anything I swear."

"I know you haven't, my love I know you haven't.  Come let us take you back to your chambers."

"Will you stay with me? I feel if I am alone I might drive myself mad, at this moment in time."

"Of course."