Chapter Sixteen - Rememberance

The remembrance feast of Sir John has arrived and I entered with my ladies in waiting. This was a sad and sorry time but a part of me was overjoyed. I was married to a good man, I had two wonderful boys and was step mother too two wonderful girls. Now that I was healed my husband laid with me once more and I had the great feeling that it would not be long before I would be with child again. I know that child birth was very painful but I loved being a mother.

I loved feeling the life growing inside me, when I heard the wails of my babe and know that they had a great life ahead of them. What more could I ask for. I entered the banquet hall and everyone bowed in respect. Harry held his hand out for me and I took it gladly before he escorted me to the table.  Music played and everyone was in good cheer. Harry made a speech about his good friend and how sorry he was to hear of his passing.

The music continued and Harry leaned towards me.

"You shall be happy to know that a week after this sorry time of the rebellion is finally over, with Mr Aske's death you shall be crowned Queen of England." I snapped my head toward him.

"Mr Aske is to be put to death? Harry."

"No, I will hear nothing of it, you plead his case and he was found guilty. Now put your mind at rest." I became quiet and said nothing else to him. I saw my uncle arrive with Catherine. They approached the table and bowed

"Charles, good to see you."

"The same, your majesty. My lovely niece"

"Uncle, Catherine. It's wonderful to see you again. Please, sit." they came and sat beside me. I leaned into my uncle."

"Did you hear of Robert Aske's execution?" I asked

"Yes, I did." he shifted a little

"And your view?"

"The same as yours I presume but there is nothing we can do." I looked at him and thought about it.

"There is. After my coronation Alexander and Oliver will be situated in their own estate. You said that he had children. Maybe one or both could work there. It wouldn't be much but it would be something. That is if Harry hasn't thought more about the advice I gave him."

"You are a resourceful Queen are you not?" he smiled which I returned.  He then stood.

"Your majesty, might I have a dance with my niece?"

"Of course." I took my Uncle's hand and he led me out onto the floor. When we finished I clapped toward the musicians. It was then I noticed Jane Seymour.

"Go dance with Catherine." I made my way over to her and her brother Thomas.

"Lady Jane. Sir Thomas." They bowed.

"Your majesty."

"I am very sorry for your loss. I heard many great things about him and I know that nothing will ever replace your father."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Would you walk with me Jane?" She looked unsure at her brother then nodded slowly. I could feel the courts eyes on me as we walked.

"I wanted to apologise to you Jane."

"For what your majesty?"

"For your grief. Not only the loss of your father but the grief you feel that the love you thought you had by the King." I stopped in a corner "It was not my intention for you to be used as such. My husband and Uncle came up with the idea. I wish for you to know that once I was told I was completely against it." We started walking again.

" You have been done a great disservice. Tell me, have your brothers found you a husband yet?"

"No, your majesty. Our family was tainted by the scandal." I sighed

"Worry not Lady Seymour, there are plenty of suitors. And I'm sure his majesty would be only to Kind to help find your the right match."

"I could not."

"I will not hear of it. It is the least we can do after all that has happened." we stopped once again and I looked around.

"Let us see if we can raise a smile on your face." I looked around.

"Ah, come." She followed me.

"Sir William." Sir William Dowry  was a wealth merchant and a nice man.

"Your majesty." He bowed.

"May I introduce. Lady Jane Seymour." he looked to her

"Lady Jane."

"Sir William."

"As you will have heard. Lady Jane's father recently past. I think she is in need of some good cheer. Don't you think?"

"Yes." I stood next to him.

"Well ask her to dance then." I urged

"Lady Jane, would you honour me with a dance?" he held out his hand and she looked at me. I nodded and she took his hand. I watched them as they joined the festivities.

"My love." I turned to my husband and he had his hand towards me offering me a dance.

"It was very Kind what you have done." we looked towards the two

"It is the least we could do. If Sir William does not wish to marry her then at least now I have made my peace she will be more desirable. Trusting it was only sweet favours you granted her?" I raised my eyebrow as we dance.

"Only sweet favours my love."