Part 3

The grounds, she knew them off by heart but in the light they seemed completely different. Trees that she had always seen as lonely and lifeless held many creatures; birds and insects, standing tall and proud. They now looked powerful and held many shades of green, yellow and orange. It was a sight she had forgotten but now reminded her of the times she had played outside with her sister Annabelle. Grace had supressed the memories of her family in the lonely life she now lived so it was a shock for her to remember the red hair and jubilant smile of her sister. The time in the light was so short in comparison to the years she had spent in the dark but she felt as if she had never left. The sun made her feel safe, as if she belonged even though it continued to diminish her energy.

“Everyone to the main hall.” Mrs Winter yelled over the intercom jerking Grace from her reminiscing.

Grace hadn’t realised the two hours had already flown past with her staring at a tree and the life it held. She turned and ran to the hall taking her usual spot in the corner, everyone else lined up but she remained hidden. She wouldn’t get adopted, she didn’t want to leave this place she had lived for over 200 years. It was the only place she felt could be home. There were gasps as the first people walked in.

“Probably some creepy looking people,” she thought. Grace wasn’t worried about who it was, the people usually avoid her as if they can sense how different she is. She is a killer by nature, maybe they could sense that?

The people kept walking down the row of people, occasionally stopping to talk to someone but then continuing.  Grace could sense excitement in the air but didn’t understand why, people came to adopt all the time but there wasn’t usually this much excitement.

“I’m hungry,” Someone whined. It was obviously not someone from the orphanage, no one here ever complained like that or they would go without for a week.

“Niall, we will get food once we have found someone.” A more authoritative voice said, they were getting close.

“Hello love,” a guy said popping around the corner and looking at Grace.

“Hi.” She whispered.

“What’s your name?” The guy asked. He had dark brown hair styled into a quiff and tan skin with a multitude of tattoos.

“I’m Grace,” She replied.

“That’s a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.” Another boy said, he had curly hair and green eyes.

“Thanks,” Grace was feeling relaxed around them even though she knew she could never trust humans.

“I’m Harry by the way.” The boy with curly hair said. “But I’m guessing you already knew that?”

“No, sorry. I don’t know who you are. Should I?” Grace asked.

“You totally should, if you weren’t always locked away in your room freak.” One of the girls said loudly making most of the other girls in the room snigger.

“That’s not very nice to say.” It was yet another male voice, Grace was unsure how many there were but she didn’t like not knowing.

“Only the truth, she is always alone, doesn’t talk to anyone. Such a loser.” The same girl said which started another round of sniggering.

“Hey sweetheart, how would you like to be adopted?” Grace looked to where the voice was coming from and saw yet another male, he had shaved his hair off but still had a slight puppy dog look.

“Why on earth would you choose her?” A girl yelled. “Total freak!”  Most other girls joined in yelling how much of a freak Grace is but she didn’t even take notice of them.

“I’d like that.” Grace smiled, she never thought she would let herself be adopted but she felt like things needed to change. After being in the sunlight she knew she could probably cope living away from the orphanage; it was still a terrifying thought though.

“I’ll go get the paperwork sorted, do you want to go pack your stuff?” He asked.

“Yeah, shouldn’t take me long.” Grace smiled and skipped off, her black hair streaming behind her.