Part 27

Niall POV

I thought my end had come. The creature had me disarmed and I was completely at its mercy. I could feel its breath on my face, it smelt of off meat, making me gag. Was this the last thing I would ever smell? the last thing I would ever see? 

"This is it." I cringed, waiting for the pain. When it didn't come I nervously opened my eyes/ The creature was no longer in front of me but instead bearing down on Liam's position.  

Liam's sword was lying on the ground next to me, I picked it up in shock. If it was here Liam had thrown it in order to save me. His sword was slightly heavier than the one I had been using but mine was too far away to get to in time for it to be of any use. Swallowing my fear, I allowed stupidity to take over and charged at the creature. I watched terrified as I plunged the sword through the back of the creatures neck. I watched in horrified fascination as the sword continued to slide through the creatures muscle and fat tissues as it fell to the side; right on top of Liam. 

Time seemed to stop, I didn't know what to do now. Liam's sword was too heavy for me to truly be worth fighting now. I could barely lift it with my fatigued arms. Louis was still attempting to keep the creatures at bay but  I could see his will to continue fighting was diminishing with each breath. Harry had been knocked out at some stage during the battle and his head wound was bleeding sluggishly. 

"Give up and come with us or we kill this boy." The creature near Zayn said, holding a sword against his unconscious body. 

"We surrender!" Louis yelled, dropping his sword unceremoniously on the ground. I placed my sword down slowly next to his but kept a small dagger hidden up my sleeve for in case. 

As soon as we had done so a formation of creatures gathered around us , stopping only to pick up Harry and Zayn, before marching us off. They left Liam laying where he was. 

It took hours for us to reach our destination and although the weather was perfect for walking it wasn't pleasant. Louis and I were terrified about what we were about to face and the safety of both Liam and Grace. We had to hope that Liam's fortitude would get him through whatever he was to face now that he was alone. 

A castle appeared through the trees, a shimmering wall around it with only one small area not covered. This area was barred and more creatures patrolled the surrounding area. 

Too soon, we were being pushed through the small gap in the wall and carted through windy corridors. My sense of direction was completely lost by the tenth twist in our path and the corridor was dark and damp. 

The cell they put us in was freezing. Louis and I huddled together trying to get warm. Harry and Zayn, still out to the world, we put on the single bed the room gave us hoping that they would be warmer off the floor. I only wish we knew Liam was okay.