Part 21

The next morning the band mates were up at six. They were armed and ready to take on the world. Well they thought so. Liam had been fitted with a backsword and Louis had an arming sword. Both were able to be used with one hand. Liam had also been given a flat bow to carry as he seemed very unwilling to use a sword.

"I still don't understand why we couldn't just use a gun." Louis said looking at his sword like it was going to kill him.

"The hidden lands borders are such that guns are unable to pass. It is a type of magical field, nothing which wasn't around when it was put up can enter hence the ancient weaponry." Zayn sighed tired of explaining this fact. 

"Still seems stupid, we're all going to kill ourselves with these things." Niall added, his arms were a testament to this as he had constantly dropped it in such a way as to cut himself when training. 

"It will be fine, just do what I taught you all and hope we don't meet any of the creatures that live there." Zayn said. "Right, heading off in five."

________________________________________

Zayn had managed to call in a few favours in getting his old training friends to help them travel to the borders of the Hidden lands. They arrived in a timely fashion, right in the centre of the room.

"That, will take some getting used to." Liam sighed as he tried to calm down from the shock. 

"If that scared you I think you should stay here." One of the newcomers said.

"Danny, they won't listen." Zayn sighed exasperatedly. "We need to get going."

"Alrighty then, let us go." Each newcomer went over to one of the boys and took their arm, teleporting to the boundary.

"Sure we can't persuade you to turn back?" Danny asked.

"No sorry, we have to go on." Zayn sighed.

"Call us when you are needing to get back then. Meet you here in a few days." Danny smiled before the group disappeared. 

"Hopefully." Zayn said, face grim, before turning to the path in front of them and starting the long trek into the unknown. 

____________________________________________

It took a few hours to reach the first clearing, by then the sky had brightened considerably but the chill  still filled the air. 

"This place seems so depressing." Niall sighed frowning. 

"That's because it is depressing, it is a prison of sorts." Zayn explained, the wind whipped his black hair into his face but he showed no sign of it bothering him. 

The wind was icy, and they all found themselves shivering violently. Zayn was looking around nervously as if he could hear something. 

"Damn, I need you guys to pull out your swords, NOW!" He roared the last word out causing the other boys to do as they were told. 

A sounds nearby caused the boys to become even more alert, their eyes widening as they realised that Zayn had heard something much before they did. Moving closer together, forming a circle and knowing just from the look on Zayn's face that speaking was not an option. 

"When I say run, run as fast as you can and don't look back." Zayn whispered, his voice carrying to them all in the silence. "Run."

There was a mad dash, the four humans stuck together and ran faster than they ever thought they could do. They ran on, not slowing for anything, adrenaline pumping through their veins, fueled by the terror of what could have scared Zayn so much. 

"Zayn." Liam yelled suddenly, realising that he hadn't come with them . 

"He said run, we have to keep going." Harry said, he was frightened but knew Zayn would likely be okay. He had the most training and knew what he was doing. 

"We don't leave people behind!" Liam said turning to go back. 

________________________________________

I watched my bandmates run off, it caused a weight to fall off my shoulders. The creatures would be on me soon enough and it would be much better for me to fight them on my own. I had training, they were useless. A flash of red. 

It took only a few second for the large group of creatures to be upon me. they surged and swarmed from all sides and I was buffeted. Trying to find my centre took a few seconds took long and I felt one of the creatures slice it's elongated claws into my arm. I hissed but began to strike back. 

Blood sprayed through the air, I no longer knew whether it was mine or that of these creatures, my thoughts were swallowed by my instinct to survive and protect. I tripped and looked down to see the corpse of one of the creatures I had killed, it should have horrified me but at this moment it made me happy. It was them or me and I had to survive. I needed to get back to my bandmates so that they could leave this God forsaken place and we could return to the life where I could pretend to be normal. Well, as normal as a pop star can be. 

My sword continued to slice through the air, my dagger flying out of my hand. My body was in control while my mind let it go. It felt like hours, but i knew it to only be minutes when I heard the last growl go silent. I had won this battle. 

"Zayn!" I heard my name from Liam. I knew he would be the first to figure out that I had not followed them as they ran. He always thought himself to be the one who protects the group, he would hate thinking of me fighting alone. it was better this way though, they would not have been able to face what i had just done with the instincts of a warrior. 

Turning towards where I had last seen my bandmates I ran after them, I could feel their fear and it made me faster. 

"Zayn, you're okay." Niall was the first to see me and he looked relieved as I stepped out of the shadows. 

"I am fine, we need to keep moving though." I said. "We must find shelter before dark, there are worse creatures here at night than during the day and it can get very cold."

"I saw a cave that way when we were running." Harry said pointing to the West. 

"That is a good place to start." I nod and headed off in the direction he had suggested.