Part 1

The Skelasia institute had been opened in the early 1800’s, it was built right against the limestone cliff with water wearing away the bottom. Nolan Skelasia had designed this orphanage as a place of solitude so the girls would not show their faces in the main township. It was almost a penitentiary setting, grey and dark. On the first day the girls would be given their drab grey uniforms and a pair of leather boots which would have to remain polished in order to maintain the rules. Personal items were also removed and stored in a small cupboard in the Matron’s office. The only personal items each girl was given were a bar of soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste. The place used to be able to hold five hundred girls but now most of it was shut off, only forty girls lived here along with two women who looked after the place.

Grace Barnes was as old as the building itself, if not older however, her icy blue eyes were all that showed her age. Her jet black hair hung down her back playfully dancing in the cool sea winds, her skin as pale as the moon hanging in the night sky. She was one of the first girls to enter this orphanage and was still here many 211 years later. She walked among the others like an unseen shadow, occasionally brushing against them in the darkened corridors but never truly being noticed.

She raged against the doors of humanity, at times wishing for it to return. Understanding was not something she had a lot of, her life had abruptly come to an end 193 years ago but had resumed not long after. It had not been the same, darkness once her fear was now her home. It was confusing for her; living but not, never aging, knowing she is different but not know why. Sunlight, something many novels suggested she should stay away from, she did so more out of fear of the unknown than anything else. She missed the sunrise; the colour red taking over the dark sky in a haphazard way, blue pushing against it like an argument between the two colours. Blue always winning but only temporarily.  It was something she had wished to see again and today she decided she would.