Chapter 23 [A friend in need]

"Walking with a friend
in the dark
is better
than walking alone
in the light."

A friend
is someone who
gives you total
freedom to
be yourself

–3rd Person View {Eric & Newtron}–

They were walking quickly through the Palace yet checked every room. Eric was determined to find his friend. They had planned the whole week together with Maya. What to do, what to see, who to meet. Yet they never planned anything like this. Planning that their plain were to crash land, meeting Luna and Tua, Jack being so close to death, Inferno taking him away... None of this was planned! It started to make him angry. He slammed his fist into the wall making it crack.
"Woah, you okay there Eric?" Newtron had turned around and asked Eric. Eric looked down to the ground.
"No... I'm not. I've lost my friend two times now... To the same person. I've already lost two important people to Inferno... I'm not going to let Jack be the third." He looked up "Inferno will pay for everything he has done, to this place, the people, everyone! He WILL pay!"
"I understand you're upset Eric, but it's nothing to get mad at. Of course most Shadows are upset about him killing our lord but there are positivities."
"Oh like what exactly?" Eric looked at Newtron with anger filling his eyes.
"You." Newtron answered putting a hand on Eric's shoulder. He was stunned, no idea what to say nor how to act. He finally got himself together.
"W–What do you mean...?"
"I mean, if our lord never died, Inferno would have probably gone for you instead. The only person who can take your fathers place when he's gone. If that would've happened, Inferno would be in control, completely in control."
"W-What?" Eric said, fear in his voice.
"Yes." Newtron looked down. "And if that would ever happen, no one will ever be safe. Not even the human world."
"I... -sigh- I understand. Newtron... When I said that he will pay for what he's done, I mean it. He will pay. None of that will ever happen, not under my watch."
"So you've accepted it? That you're our lord?" Newtron said looking up at Eric. He had tears in eyes.
"Yes. I have. I will avenge my father. Take his place as lord here in the Shadow Lands and help our kind from this fear."
"Th-thank you!" Newtron said and hugged Eric. He was once again stunned by the sudden act from Newtron but gently hugged him back. They were interrupted by a distance scream. A bright light formed around the Palace and Eric and Newtron ran over to the throne room. There, Inferno was in the middle of the room, a giant beam coming from him. Behind him, at one of the pillars, Jack was laying unconscious.
"Eric, you go check on your friend. I'll keep Inferno distracted." Newtron whispered.
"Okay." Eric answered and began to slowly go towards his friend. When he was next to Jack he saw a change on his look. The top of his hair had turned red.
"J-Jack...?" Eric said quietly, slowly turning Jack around.
"Nng..."
"Come on Jack... Please, wake up..."
-cough- "E-Eric... I-Inferno... H-He..."
"Calm down... Everything is going to be alright. What did Inferno do- Err... What is he doing?"
Jack opened his eyes to reveal one of them had gone from normal to Shadow looking. The white was black and the blue color had changed to red. Eric jumped and backed away a little.
"J-Jack? W-What's wrong with you? What happened?"
"Eric... The Amulet... You have to get the Amulet back... If not, he'll have control over it..."
"What's so important about the Amulet?"
"If he manage to make it his... The only way to get rid of him is to destroy the Amulet... And since I'm the owner to it...-"
"They'll have to either destroy the amulet or kill you..."
"Mhm... -coughs- Ugh..."
"Bwah!" They heard Newtron yell and he was suddenly thrown back.
"Newtron!"
"Oh well isn't this nice? I have one of the strongest Shadows and The Lords son here when I actually needed them. Sadly... You aren't the Shadow I need." Inferno said with a disappointed smile on his face.
"What are you talking about?"
"E-Eric... You have to l-leave..."
"What? Why? What's so bad having me here?"
"If you're here... Inferno will- Gah-ah...!" Jack groaned in pain.
"Now, now Jack. No need for spoiling the surprise."
"Grr... Let him go, Inferno!"
"Why? So you can take the only chance for me to survive? Would you rather see me dead? To s-"
"Yes! You should just know how much hatred there is inside of me right now..."
"Oh? And why is that?"
"You know damn why! You killed my dad, you killed my grandpa! You were about to kill my best friend! You think I'm going to let you get away with that?! You're sick if you do..." Eric snapped at Inferno. As an answer he got laughter.
"W-What's so damn funny?"
"You of course! You must be dumber than I thought if you haven't realized it yet!"
"What are you talking about...?"
"Heh... Jack, would you mind explaining to your friend what I'm talking about?"
"I..."
"J-Jack...? What is he talking about?"
"Eric... I-Inferno... He's..."
"He's what?"
"He's... The Lord..."
"What?"
"-Umpf- Of course he's The Lord. He killed our last one!" Newtron stumbled towards them with a hurt leg.
"No... I me-an... He's... The Lord..."
"He's what?!"
"Mhm... Mph..."
Eric was stunned of Jack's words. His eyes were opened wide, slowly turning his head towards Inferno.
"No... B-But if he's The Lord... That m-must mean..." Eric finally got out and stared at Inferno. "You... You can't be... You can't be him...!"
"Oh, but I am."
"But... H-How...? You died! I saw you get killed!"