Chapter 7

It’s from outside the house. I swear if something happens to her. Then I heard giggles. “Loki get of me!” Loki? Who is that? I rush outside finding her stumbling on the green grass with a hairy creature licking off her face. Who’s dog is that?

My morning can’t get any better when I see the devil sitting on the grass not far from Janice watching her having her time with the dog. He’s smiling whilst she’s struggling to free herself from the sloppy licks. And when his eyes meet mine, we both are expressionless.

“Janice what are you doing out here? Get inside.” She snaps her head at me trying to get up. “Ohh Maya meet Loki! Loki that’s my sister.” How cute is she talking to a dog. “I’m not talking to a dog. Get inside. Mom’s order.”

Janice pouts her lip and brushes her dress. “Awhh come on mom’s gone for work. Dwayne tell her it’s fine. I want to play with Loki.” What the hell? I’m her biological sister but she’s pleading for Dwayne to blow me off? What had Dwayne poisoned her?

Dwayne looks at me and cocks his brows. My stomach flips over and over trying to hold my fury when he holds the look for several seconds. Janice’s still shimmering her eyes with pleads hoping that I’ll agree. “Okay fine but be back later when I call you out alright?” Janice lips flash her white straight teeth and nods vigorously. Glad I made her day.

Plopping my feet on the soft turf grass, Janice’s giggles continues to fill the front yard. I want to join her so badly but not with the devil watching the both of us fumbling with the dog. And not to mention the dog is Smith’s. I glance at the crappy phone and surprisingly I got a text from Xander. Wondering what does he want.

*Hey wanna hangout?* Xander is inviting me out again.

*Sure. Can my sister tag along?* tapping send button on the cracked pad. I really hate this. I’m supposed to be holding my iPhone by now, listening to endless playlist. My phone beeps again.

*That’s cool. Ronnie can join us anyway. I’ll pick you up at 11. See you later :)* Can I just say Xander is the first football guy that isn’t too arrogant and very nice. His friendly charm hooked me. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to like him. Well I kinda do but not more than friends.

Glancing at the clock hang by the wall, it’s already 10.35 am. I struck out at the front door and call for Janice. She’s now straddling on Dwayne’s back and laughing like a mad hatter. “Janice come inside! We’re going out.” She snaps her head at me and severely nods, talking to Dwayne about her leaving. He puts her down and they bid their adieu.

“Where are we going?” I open the door wider for the both of us to get in. “We’re going to the lake. You like meeting new friend right?” Ronnie is four and Janice is five. That’s not a big difference between their age but Janice likes kids just around her age too. “Sure! I love new friends!” We both walk upstairs while I’m ruffling her tousled hair.

Just like he said, he arrives at the front porch on 11. I lead Janice to the back seat where Ronnie is in. “Hey you must be Ronnie!” Janice hops in and gestures her a hand shake. Ronnie grabs her hand. “And you’re Janice.” I’m glad they got along much more better than I imagined. I close the door and go to the passenger seat. Xander flashes his warm smile making me doing the same.

But before he’s saying anything, Xander’s phone blows. He glances at the caller and frowns a bit. “What’s up?..We’re going to the lake, you wanna join?.. Cool we’re outside.” He hung up and tosses his phone into his pocket. “Is that Dwayne?”

“Yeap he’s joining.” I grunt at his affirmation. Everytime I’m with Xander, Dwayne has to butt in between. Why? Why can’t he stop bugging me and mind his own business? Minutes later, the devil hops in the back seat. “Dwayne! Glad you’re coming!” Both Janice and Ronnie scream in unison. Why they adore him so much? He’s nothing but a person that is full of himself.