Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I gulped the lumps in my throat. He was looking at us with no expression on his devilish face. “We got visitor!” He stepped back from the door frame when his eyes drooping on me. Oh no. Don’t tell me you know me.

I was thankful that he didn’t stare at me for a long time but flashed a smile to my mother and back away.  That was thoughtful.

As soon as that a woman in a delinquent dress popped up with a wide smile across her face. “You must be Mrs Noel! Nice to meet you!” Wait she knew us? Oh my god. Could it be..

“Rita. Nice to meet you too! Well I brought you guys something. It’s freshly baked by the way. Mom turned to me and signaling me to hand her the cake. “Kim. Is this your daughter?” She shifted her gaze towards me. “Yes she’s the eldest.”

Mom gently handed her the cake. “She’s lovely! Are you going to Hughford?” I nodded nervously. “Oh you must know my son!” Yeah nobody didn’t. He’s the school quarterback, major asshole, merciless player and asshole. Did I just said that twice.  

A/N : I made up the school name. Too lazy to search for a real one. :))

“Well we can lend a hand for you guys. If that’s okay with you?” Since when mom give a damn about all of this. “Oh that would be lovely!” Kim smiled toothily. I was glad my mom made you happy. “Maya, go call your dad. You tag along.”

As much as I wanted to protest but I can’t. Mom could go vile and I hated that I have to obey every single demand. I ran back to my house and pushed the door opened.

“Dad, neighbor needs some help.” I mocked. Dad giggled at me. “Why’s your mother being too nice?” He meneds his shirt and slipped in his shoes. “I was thinking about the same thing.” He just snorted. “Is there something about the neighbor? You were practically scowling all the time when they got here.”

Dad was very observant. That was because he was working as a professor. “Remember when I told you about the guy at school?” He stopped at his track and looked at me. “You mean the Damne guy?” I scoffed a laugh.

Mentally thanking dad because the way he said his name sounded like damn. Well he was damned. “It’s Dwayne.” Dad rubbed his temple. “Well no wonder you’ve been putting on that face since then. This got to be somewhat interesting Maya.”

····

The rest of the day was tiresome. I tried my best to avoid myself from cooperating with the dickhead and stick my dad. It was gruesome when my dad always mocked at me whenever Dwayne came in sight. But I was thankful though that Dwayne didn’t show any sign that he knew me. So far we’re good. Everything was done in place.

“Please join us for the dinner. I don’t know how to thank you guys.” Kim brushed off the dust on her blouse. “We would love to.” Without any warning, dad agreed. How dare him? “Great! Come at 7. And thanks!”

Kim’s husband, which I learnt that his name was Goerge, placed his hand around Kim’s waist. “It’s nothing but we glad to help. See you at 7.”

We excused ourselves for the exit. Neither of talk because of exhaustion. Thanks to mom I missed watching Spongebob with Janice. And now dinner? What a huge progression. We still got an hour before the dinner but mom couldn’t stop herself from distributing a bit of her skill in cooking. She wanted to make something for the dinner too.

I felt tacky from the dripping sweat. A nice long shower would do the job. The warm water managed to calm me. I wonder what will happen during the dinner. Will he recognize me? Stepping out from the hot shower and slipped in a knitted white sweater and black legging.

I wanted to look extremely simple so I complete the look with a pair of ballet flats. My face was too blank so I applied few brushes of mascara on my lashes. It made my eyes popped out better.

I didn’t know how long I have cooped up in my room when mom pitching voice calling me downstairs. I grunted in annoyance. It was all her idea. We stepped in the Smith’s house and greeted a warm welcome. They led us to the table with Dwayne sitting in front of me. “Janice can we exchange seat?” I whispered to her.

“No I want to be near mom.” Great just great. I turned my head back and found myself eye to eye with the devil. He broke the stare watching his plate. This was so awkward. The dinner was served and everything drooled me.

Mom dishes was no other typical but the same chicken garlic that she always made for every occasion she attended. The dinner went well with conversation between the elderly.

“I need to go to the bathroom.” I pushed my chair and stood up. The hallway was short and pictures were hanging on the wall. I scanned through them and Dwayne’s faces were all over. From his infancy till then. He’s adorable.. Wait I hated him why was I even saying this.

Before I could enter the bathroom. Strong grip on my shoulder causing me to turn around. It was no other but Dwayne Smith.

“What do you want?” He leaned in closer with hid arms locking me in between. I shifted uncomfortably on the wall. “Maya.”  Now what was this crazy guy thinking?

“Let me go.”  

“Seriously you’ve been staring at me all the time.” I bet he couldn’t think rationally by the time he’s slamming me down the wall but not too hard. And by saying I’ve been staring at him all the time wasn’t make any proper sense at all. Because I am not and he’s just too fond of himself.

“What makes you think that huh dickhead?”

“Dickhead? What are you pussy tail?” He. Tested. My. Patient. I pushed him full power causing him to take a few steps back. His eyes widen. “Geez shortcake. I was just messing around.” He grinned. I glared at him and proceeding into the bathroom. My bladder was about to burst anytime now.

Dwayne grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him. “I bet you know me and by that bear this in my mind.” He scooted over me closer than before and whispered in my ear. “I’m irresistible.”

He winked at me and walked off. My chest went up and down. I was not afraid of him. He bugged the shit out of me. What an asshole. I watched Dwayne distancing and that was when he turned to his back.

“See you at school.”