babysitter

"Can I help you?"

"I'm izzys brother, alec, she said she's sorry but can't babysit tonight so she sent me if that is ok with you."

"Of course, come in.  My name is camille."  She says as they walk inside.  "All the emergency numbers are on the fridge along with my cell phone number and my husband's." 

"Ok.  What about the baby?"

"Oh yeah. Her name is coralline and she is sleeping in her room."  She says, walking out the door.

Alec runs his hand through his hair and turns around as a door opens and a tall, tanned man walks out.

"Well, hello."

"Hi."

"Where's izzy?"

"She couldn't make it, I'm her brother, alec."  He says, extending his hand.  "Nice to meet you."

"You too."  He says, taking his hand. "Magnus bane.  I should be going, you be ok?"

"I got this."  Alec says as magnus leaves.

*************

"How was your night?"  Magnus asks, walking in.

"Very peaceful,  she only woke up a couple of times. I got a lot of studying done."  Alec says, starting to pick  up his books.

"What are you studying?"

"I'm a journalism major."  Alec says, standing up.

"Oh, here."  Magnus says, handing alec some money.

"Thanks." Alec says, putting the money in his pocket. "I hate to rush off but I have a date and he's waiting for me."

"He?"

"Yeah."  Alec says, hanging his head.

"Hey, it's ok."  Magnus says, walking over to alec, slides his finger under his chin and lifts it up as alecs phone buzzes. "Everything ok?"

"My date didn't want to wait for me."

"That's a shame."

"Why?"

"Because you are worth waiting for."

"Obviously not."

"Would you like some coffee or something?"

"Coffee would be great."  Alec says, sitting on the couch. 

"So, alec, tell me about yourself."

"Well, I have a sister and two brothers, I am a freshman at nyu, I'm eighteen and gay. That's about it. What about you?"

"I have no brothers and sisters, I graduated from Columbia with  a finance degree, I'm twenty-three, bisexual and only married to my wife to keep up appearances."

"What do you mean to keep up appearances?"

"It means me and my wife don't love each other, we never have."

"Then why did you get married?"

"She was pregnant with coralline."

"Oh."

"I need to go check on coralline."  Magnus says, standing up.

"I should be going."  Alec says when magnus comes back in the room. 

"You sure?"

"Yeah and you don't owe me anything for tonight."  Alec says, pulling the money out of his pocket.  "I didn't do much more then study."  Alec says, picking up his books and leaving.

**********

(Text from magnus is in regular; text from alec in italics)

I got your number

I was hoping you would

Would you like to go get coffee tomorrow

Yes I would.

Great. See you tomorrow at one at java jones.

See you there.

**********

"Magnus, we need to talk."

"About what, camille?"

"I would rather not get into it over the phone.   I will be there in ten minutes. Make sure alec stays there with you."  She says, hanging up the phone.

"Ok."  Magnus says when she walks in. "What is this about?"

"I want a divorce."

"Ok."

"You aren't going to argue?"

"Why would i?  Our marriage was over before it started.  But I have to ask, why the sudden urgency to get divorced?"

"The guy I'm seeing wants us to move in together and I can't do that if we are still married.  I don't want the house, you can have sole custody of coralline and I don't want alimony.  The only thing I ask is you don't keep my parents from seeing her."

"I can agree to that on one condition. Your parents never question my relationship with alec.  If that happens I won't ask for child support."

"Agreed."  She says, walking out.