The World is Shit, But at Least We Have Each Other

Beginne am Anfang

"Do you think there's something wrong with them?"

"Why else would they be abandoned on the side of the road?"

"We don't know if they're abandoned or not, that's the problem." I grumbled, frowning. Kuza and I were kneeling in a suspicious patch of green weeds, and I seriously hoped this wasn't poison ivy or anything.

"There's only one way to find out," he sighed, rising brazenly to his feet despite my hissing. He ignored me as he emerged from the tree line, glancing around the dirt road that was quickly growing up with weeds.

He trotted across it, and then just opened one of the car doors. It looked like one of those old station wagons that had just been pieced together with different models, every other piece a different color.

The light came on as Kuza opened the door, and he crawled over to the drivers side. I waited a beat, seeing him fumbling around, and after a few minutes I heard it clicking as he tried to start it.

So much for that car.

I felt disappointed --- I'd kind of hoped it would be a working car, that we all wouldn't be cramped into the SUV anymore.

Damn.

Kuza crawled out, shaking his head and quickly making for the other car. He tugged on the door, but the light inside didn't come on this time.

Both were duds.

Kuza seemed disappointed as he made his way back to me. "Neither of them are any good," he sighed. "Maybe Ryan can take a look at them and do something about it."

"I don't know if Ryans in the condition to do anything right now." I worried, thinking about him. He was only getting worse, and we hadn't seen any deaders in a few days --- good for us, but he wasn't getting anything to eat.

I didn't want him turning on any of us either.

Not again.

"We're gonna have to do something," Kuza said, looking irritated. "Let's just keep looking around, maybe we'll find something else."

"Yeah."

I wasn't so sure.

I was so worried, I couldn't help it. Rickys leg made him basically immobile, and I was starting to wonder if it was getting infected as well despite all we were doing for it. He couldn't run if he had too, we'd have to carry him and that would slow us down.

I hadn't said anything, but I know I wasn't the only one who was worried.

If Ricky died, he would inevitably turn.

Would any of us have the guts to finish him off first?

We'd have too.

But, if he died, Ryan could eat --- I hated to think that, especially since Ricky was the one who'd saved me from drowning all those months ago, but you can't help the thoughts that cross your mind.

Even if you don't like them.

Kuza and I didn't talk as we walked, keeping to the woods and avoiding the road; it might be an easier walk but it would leave us too vulnerable.

Too many bad people had survived, we didn't want to run into them.

Or at least I didn't want us too.

"There's a mailbox, there might be a house at the top of that road," I said hopefully, seeing a road curve out of view.

"There's no telling how far off that house is."