_____

"We're well aware of the lunar eclipse, so don't assume Kali's just going to twiddle her thumbs waiting for it to level the playing field. She's coming, and my brother's joining her," Ethan explained to Derek.

Derek wasted no time, rising from the table and stating, "Good enough for me."

Derek, with a hint of resignation, asked, "You want me to run?"

Peter, not one to sugarcoat, responded, "No. I want you to stay and get slaughtered by an alpha with a psychotic foot fetish. Of course, I want you to run. Sprint, gallop, leap your way the hell out of this town."

Cora chimed in with her own perspective, saying, "If you want to fight and potentially die for something, that's fine with me, but do it for something meaningful." Her words triggered a flashback to a similar conversation with Allison.

Derek, looking for reassurance, questioned, "How do you know I'm going to lose?"

"We don't, but I'll bet she has an idea. Don't you, Lydia?" Peter inched closer to Lydia, and I instinctively moved closer to her as well.

"Calm down, Stella," Peter urged, noticing my unease.

"I don't know anything," Lydia confessed, her voice quivering.

"But you feel something, don't you?" Peter pressed.

Derek, his tone gentle, asked, "What do you feel?"

"I feel like... I'm standing in a graveyard," Lydia responded, her words sending a shiver down our spines.

Well, that was ominous.

____

I was bombarded with text messages and missed calls from Stiles – 4 missed calls and 24 unread texts. Finally, I decided to call him back.

"Stop calling and texting me!" I yelled at him, feeling a bit overwhelmed.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just making sure you're okay," Stiles responded.

"Well, I am. Bye," I kept the conversation short and sweet, hoping to avoid a lengthy chat.

"Stella, she's here," Ethan informed me. I put my phone in my back pocket and stood next to Lydia.

"Where is he?" Kali demanded, eyeing the three of us.

Lydia snapped her fingers. "I think he said he was heading out to do some shopping, run a few errands, the usual... werewolf afternoon," she said, clearing her throat.

"Who do you think you're talking to?" Kali approached us, and I took a clear look at her feet.

"Someone in desperate need of a pedicure. I'd be happy to give you a referral," I retorted, offering her a sarcastic smile.

Lydia looked at me, visibly shocked. I suppose I knew more about girly things than I let on.

Kali glared at me and started moving closer, but Aiden growled, warning her to step back.

"Oh, really?" Kali said, looking at Adien.

"Did someone take their little assignment too seriously?" Kali started circling around Aiden.

"She is not the problem," Adian sighed.

"Maybe the problem is where your loyalties lie," she snapped at him.

"Oh, God. Is this about to get really violent?" Lydia commented.

"Probably," Ethan and I said in unison.

Suddenly, Jennifer descended from the ceiling. I grabbed Lydia and pulled her out of the way to prevent any glass from injuring her. On the other side of the desk, Ethan braced himself.