Chapter 6: Journey

Start from the beginning

With a firm grip, Freir spun Ari around, leading him off the trail and into the dense forestry. "Boy, listen to me," Freir implored, turning Ari's head back just as he attempted to turn away. "I care for you, and you hold a special place in my heart. It does not matter what blood flows through your veins."

"I could not help it," Ari sobbed.

"Ari, it was wrong of us to hide this from you so long. We tell you something is wrong when innately it feels right... And it is wrong of us to do. You are not like us nor will you ever be like us–– and that is okay."

Ari was riddled with confusing emotions. He did not know what was right or wrong anymore. At that moment, it was what he wanted, needed, so he took it. Looking back on it now, it was very wrong and he had, once again, disappointed a man who thought the world of him.

"So forgive us... and come back with us," Freir pleaded.

"I cannot."

"Ari," Freir urged, his concern palpable.

"I cannot and you know it. I am not the same as any of you and I will not be looked at as some kind of dog," Ari hissed.

"I do not think that of you," Freir responded, trying to reassure him.

"But everyone else does! They always have. I do not want to go back." Tears dripped down his face, betraying him. He swiped at them angrily, but only more came.

"Dry your eyes. Dry your eyes now, boy." Freir's calloused fingers wiped away the tears dripping down his face, trying to calm him, but it only made him feel worse. How could he possibly live up to his expectations when everything he wanted from him his body spoke differently of?

"Things are not always as you think they are... Nolan will tell you the same."

"I do not care what Nolan says. He is a liar as well."

"And for good reason! That demon," Freir pointed off into the distance, "is of the devil, evil incarnate. Do not be swayed by such pretty words and face. Inside of it is nothing but wretchedness. It is tempting, as all bad things are..." Ari swallowed nervously as Freir looked at him, studying his face.

"When Nolan brought you back that day... You had become mine. And no matter the choices you make, I will always love you and hold you dear to my heart. You are mine, no matter the blood we do not share."

"Do not show me such love when I am undeserving of it. I do not need it. I do not want it." Despite his spoken defiance, Ari knew Freir saw through his words. Freir had a way of calming his aching heart with the right words, giving him comfort when he needed it the most. He had stood by Ari through every misstep and past blunder, even when one resulted in the scar on his face.

"I am confused," Ari said for lack of any better words.

"As you should be."

Auovin stirred in him feelings that he loved to feel, and it felt wrong to even think that way. He thought it was just his body betraying his mind, but it went deeper than that, like an insatiable craving. Truly, he could not help it. Just the thought of it had the back of his throat itching and his heart pumping.

"... I do not know what is wrong with me... " Ari mumbled.

"There is nothing wrong with you."

"There is."

"There is not. There is not, Ari."

Ari's gaze dropped, and he released a shaky sigh. The doubt lingered; he could not bring himself to believe him.

"You are attracted to... him and that is normal. You are curious and captivated by him and that is normal as well."

No matter Ari's attempts at explanation, Freir would not begin to comprehend. For Ari, being with Auovin was like discovering a missing piece of himself that seamlessly connected with others he had not recognized were gone. It mirrored the beauty of a falling star and the comforting caress of ocean waves against his feet. Ari admitted it was not love, but the close, intimate moments shared with Auovin left him perplexed, wrestling with emotions he wished to avoid but welcomed, wanted, yearned for.